Campaign challenges

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Campaign challenges

Post by zookeeper »

As many already know, there are always extra challenges to beat in campaigns. Most commonly limiting the units you may recruit, but there are others, too. So, why not list all notable ones here?

Note: usually all the challenges are assumed and intended to be done on the hardest difficulty level. They're supposed to be extra challenges to beat, after all.

General challenges available in almost any campaign:
  • Recruit only a given type of unit. For example, HttT with shamans only, TRoW with horsemen only, and so on (usually done with the weakest or most special unit available).
  • No losses; you're not allowed to get any unit killed.
  • No recalling.
More specific challenges:
  • UtBS:
    • No recruiting at all; survive only with the units you are given during the campaign. This just occurred to me and it sounds doable because of the amount of units you get in the first scenario, but I haven't heard anyone actually do it.
Which ones have you done (please also specify your Wesnoth version)? Which ones should be added to the list?
JW

Re: Campaign challenges

Post by JW »

Ah, the thread is made. 8)

How about without taking any villages? :lol2:
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

*i have said this one before on irc, and am proud of it*
  • you may attack enemy units only from the 3 northern hexes around the unit
Elvish Scientist

Post by Elvish Scientist »

Or finish a campaign without attacking any enemy units.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I'll not be including obviously unfeasible ones. :annoyed:

EDIT: Ok, ok. That might be possible in some campaign. I'd be interested in hearing someone actually manage it, though.
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

Elvish Scientist wrote:Or finish a campaign without attacking any enemy units.
enemy leaders would have to be an exception I guess. :wink:

I beat HttT with recruiting shaman only many versions ago (shaman line used cold rather than arcane damage). I recalled the loyal units that you get along the way (fish etc.), but I guess at least one or two people have since done it without recalling anything but shaman.

EDIT: Found the link to my replays. The save indicates that it was version 1.2.2, and - of course - it was on hard. :wink:
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

How about DiD with only zombies... I would really like to see that! :D

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
Raliven

Post by Raliven »

Really funny that I would find this thread here. I just finished a challenge last night and wanted to post the replay but the replay does not seem to work. The challenge is something that I've tried to do off and on for awhile. It's not really for a campaign but for A New Land: The Last Stand. The challenge is this: kill every last enemy unit on the map without losing a single unit of yours and do it as a single player with standard starting gold. I wish I could post the replay but I think there may be a problem with replays and ANL. Anyway it took about 70 or so turns and some of my main units were two mages of light, several royal guardsmen, a couple of HI, a great mage, and, of course, the units that you free from the spider caves.

So if you're a good player and looking for something new in Wesnoth to try, see if you can manage this challenge. It can be done in less than 70 turns for sure. I had a bit of a slow start and the mid-game was really slow as I was really cautious. (I had gotten halfway through it another time when out of nowhere the RNG surprisingly killed my leader so I tried to take no unnecessary chances which caused the play to be slow at times.)

Oh yes, and I completed the challenge in Wesnoth version 1.4.7.
Earworthm

Post by Earworthm »

By the way, how can one read the replays? Because i have downloaded a few of them on this forum but I can't see them.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

HomerJ wrote:How about DiD with only zombies... I would really like to see that! :D

Greetz
HomerJ
I think this one is technicaly impossible. I think there is a cave senario where you have a highly limiting time limit, and zombies would not be able to get through it quick enough.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
TheMasterOfBattle

Post by TheMasterOfBattle »

Velensk wrote:
HomerJ wrote:How about DiD with only zombies... I would really like to see that! :D

Greetz
HomerJ
I think this one is technicaly impossible. I think there is a cave senario where you have a highly limiting time limit, and zombies would not be able to get through it quick enough.
Would be interesting if someone tried anyway. :)
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Velensk wrote:

Greetz
HomerJ
I would have said the same thing about getting shamans through the cave scenarios in HttT. :D

Greetz
HomerJ
Max

Post by Max »

i guess it's in Northern Rebirth? where you can only recruit level 0 units in the first scenario. doesn't sound very unique, but it was definitely an interesting experience...
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

HomerJ wrote:
Velensk wrote:I think this one is technicaly impossible. I think there is a cave senario where you have a highly limiting time limit, and zombies would not be able to get through it quick enough.
I would have said the same thing about getting shamans through the cave scenarios in HttT. :D
Shydes go much faster, 3 cave hexes per turn. The cave scenarios aren't really that much of a problem, IIRC, especially if you can recall freely (as I did). The loyal thieves/rogues/assassins from SoE are very useful, too.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

zookeeper wrote:
HomerJ wrote: I would have said the same thing about getting shamans through the cave scenarios in HttT. :D
Shydes go much faster, 3 cave hexes per turn. The cave scenarios aren't really that much of a problem, IIRC, especially if you can recall freely (as I did). The loyal thieves/rogues/assassins from SoE are very useful, too.
I know, I did the shamans challenge myself. How about only ghuls then... that should be managable.

Greetz
HomerJ