Split translations

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

danjel

Split translations

Post by danjel »

I'm not sure where this goes. If it doesn't belong here, apologies. Let me know where to go. Equally, I took a look to see if it had been raised before but couldn't find anything. If it has been dealt with conclusively, then, again, apologies.

As someone coming from a country in the backwaters of the internet, for 1.8 onwards could I please make a suggestion that the translations be split into their own separate installers?

I think that it's fantastic that Wesnoth has been translated into so many languages. As a Linguist, and someone who works with many people from non-English speaking background, I think it's really important to internationalise. But...

At the moment, the translations folder of my Wesnoth folder is around 60-something MB, and I imagine that it represents a significant portion of the installers as well. This is a significant drain on my download quota every time a new version comes out and takes an awful long time to download using the Pigeon and/or Semaphore internet system that we have here in Australia. I don't use any of these translations, so is there really a good reason to have them here?
-danjel
silene

Re: Split translations

Post by silene »

danjel wrote:At the moment, the translations folder of my Wesnoth folder is around 60-something MB, and I imagine that it represents a significant portion of the installers as well.
Translations are text and as such they compress rather well. They amount for about 5-10% of what you download, so that wouldn't help much. In order to divide by 2 the size of the installer, one should rather remove the soundtracks.