A New Order art

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
szopen

Re: A New Order art

Post by szopen »

Another one: Akladian peasant. I tried not to look at the photo when I was adding colours and shadows, and of course, as a result it look simply awful. But again -- since previous version of Akladian Peasant was child-like image, this one is improvement anyway...
akladian_peasant.png
akladian_peasant.png (105.93 KiB) Viewed 6062 times
And I was thinking about new image for Lorin -- it should be strong woman, blonde with fighting spirit. I found an ideal image, sadly I cannot use it because it is not under GPL. I am attaching it here, but because it is not GPLd I will remove it within a few days.

But really, the way she looks within a wesnoth is... something which everyone should have chance to admire.

REMOVED

Just kidding, I already have image for Lorin :-)
I know I have sick sense of humour, you don't have to tell me.[/spoiler]

Doofus, thanks for an advice. In fact I thought about adding more shadows, but I have a problem that the resulting image is way too dark. Anyway, I am not and I will not be an artist, so I treat this only as temporary replacements until I will find something better...
Last edited by szopen on March 6th, 2012, 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Even when the Slav is gay the effort is often evident" -- P. R. RADOSAVLJEVICH
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I wasn't clear, I don't think. You can make the image less flat with some very simple edits, a new layer that is just semitransparent highlights and shadows. I quickly edited the png as an example, some edges are too sharp but...

If you don't agree, no problem.
Attachments
generic_akladian.png
generic_akladian.png (145.99 KiB) Viewed 6024 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
szopen

Post by szopen »

doofus-01 wrote:I wasn't clear, I don't think. You can make the image less flat with some very simple edits, a new layer that is just semitransparent highlights and shadows. I quickly edited the png as an example, some edges are too sharp but...

If you don't agree, no problem.
I know what you meant, doofus. I did a new layer (totally black silquette) and used eraser tool to add highlights. However, Iwhatever I tried, the result was too dark -- yours example is better, I must say, probably years of practice :)
szopen

Post by szopen »

This is not actually ANO art. ANO has the modified version of the images, here it is as a part of my contribution to the wesnoth large family. They are nothing great, but maybe they will be useful to some campaign creators. As usuall, it is double licensed (as everything I have posted in this thread, as CC3.0-SA-BY, and GPL, with GPL under condition that "the source" is this very image (e.g. if it is not possible to consider this image "a source" and I'd have to provide sketches or anything else, then assume this is not GPLd). Created using photos from my collection and custom created gimp brushes (the brushes are posted in this forum). EDIT: and in second image I used also brushes by iceytina and LJF, terms of use: "* Attribution not required except for published
modifications * You may use these for commercial purposes ", Iceytina:
"You can use these however you like, just please credit me somewhere.". I think that's all.
skradacz_w_lesie.png
krajobraz-smokes.png
And this is a modified public domain photo, found IIRC on wikimedia. Picture of Surami fortress.
Surami_Fortress_modified.png
Original here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Surami_Fortress.JPG

Finally, this is frankenstined story image :) This is GPLd with no conditions, since all I have do was to compose others work into an image. The images are from wesnoth distribution and from wtactics.
before_the_battle_without_gawen2.png
szopen

Post by szopen »

This is a work by Łukasz Zaręba, sketch of generic Akladian Lord. I have slight impression there is something not quite right with his hand and face, but I can't tell exactly what's wrong.
akladianlord2.jpg
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

The ear is too low. The right eye looks like it was pushed into the skull. I should be nearer the edge of face. About the arm - I don't know if this warrior has sleeves in colour of the skin or does he have naked, painted (tattooed) arm with strangely folded skin. Maybe the shading of back of the hand is too much visible so it should be toned down but more regular artists should express their opinions here. Otherwise interesting portrait.
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

in cartography, this might perhaps be called 'stereographic projection', but in drawing, afaik, it is called 'flyswatted perspective', not only limited to the head, but also his right arm and both shoulders, and maybe a bit in the body, which is basically all over the place.
some of the problems with the hand are also because of this perspective.

guides and then discipline might be a good idea, as it is tempting to draw things in the locally most convenient perspective : )
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
francophone

Post by francophone »

The left shoulder (what you see under the clothing) seems too low and near the body.
Perhaps we might reduce a little the thickness of the neck, too.
szopen

Post by szopen »

This is another work in progress from Łukasz Zaręba.

Bor Cryne.
borcryne2.jpg
szopen

Post by szopen »

Rescaled bor cryne from Łukasz Zaręba. Will appear in the next version of ANO.

Bitter, angry, with a lot of bad memories, your favourite: Bor Cryne.
Attachments
bor_cryne_scaled.png
bor_cryne_scaled.png (129.49 KiB) Viewed 5492 times
francophone

Post by francophone »

Awesome!
I suggest to thin a little at the elbow and more the wrist.
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Hi,

A long time ago I toyed with making new Akladian sprites (I really liked and finished your campaign), they were based somewhat on the old art... I don't know why I didn't post any. I guess I wanted to do lots to begin with as to see if I would actually finish what I started.

So, better late than never i guess. If your giving the Akladians a new look then these might not fit in 100% I might have made them a bit too armored too?

"Finished" of these are Clansman, Lady Lorin, Wiseman, Warrior line, Raider line and Homeguard line.
Unfinished and sketchy are Young Hagarthen, Leader line and Holyman.

I say "finished" but they are up for tweaks of course.
Attachments
Akladians.png
Akladians.png (47.96 KiB) Viewed 5345 times
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

They look really good. i do, however, think they are slightly to armored for a race descended from tribesmen. of course, some would have adopted the armor and military techniques of Wesnoth, but they all seem to be very heavily armored. The level 1s and 2s are exactly as I would, personally, imagine them(apart from top row, third from left)- a rugged, aloof race, hardened by war and the desert, however the level 3s seem more those of a long-standing civilization with skilled metal workers.Of course, they are still really good, and I wish I could sprite like that...
High over valleys in the red levelling rays -
In din of crowded streets, going among the years, the faces,
May I still meet my memory in so lonely a place
Between the streams and the red clouds, hearing the curlews, Hearing the horizons endure.
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Thanks :) yeah I was afraid they would be, I thought some of the old sprites like the lord had some plate on him, but it was hard to tell. But I know some are wearing splint armor and helmets at least from the old portraits, and lamellar from both the new and old. None of the lvl3's except for the lord is wearing plate, intentionally at least. "Darknite" and Pikeneer have splint armor with metal reinforced leather helmets. The Protector was meant to have some Lamellar but the plates kind of look too big and bulky. The shoulder and tassets could be skipped I guess. (I like having the detail though :( ) Perhaps the type of armor is not important but how much of it they are wearing then?
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

I'm sure they would have a little armor, yes, as plunder from defeated foes. I agree, it is mostly the amount they're wearing that's a small problem- some like the lord, may wear that much, others like the light infantry, should probably wear chainmail or hardened leather.Of course, I can't speak for Szopen, and these are only relatively minor details.

In fact, now that I look closer, it seems you have got them spot on. The lord is wearing plate, whilst the others are wearing chainmail and leather, they're just very bulky men :D . What kind of armor is the armor of the third unit line down?
High over valleys in the red levelling rays -
In din of crowded streets, going among the years, the faces,
May I still meet my memory in so lonely a place
Between the streams and the red clouds, hearing the curlews, Hearing the horizons endure.