Game's hardware requirements.

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Naron

Game's hardware requirements.

Post by Naron »

I have a small curiosity, I have seen on Wesnoth's site that it's recommended to have 4 GB of RAM and a dual core CPU to run the game. Of course, you can run the game on a less capable configuration but I don't get why is recommended to have a dual-core CPU and 4 GB RAM, given that it's a 2D game without many bells and whistles.
As I said this is just a small curiosity, not a complaint of any kind.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Game's hardware requirements.

Post by Pentarctagon »

Some add-ons (whether done knowingly or just coded poorly) do end up using considerable amount of RAM, so that may have been part of it.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Naron wrote: April 12th, 2020, 4:02 pm I have a small curiosity, I have seen on Wesnoth's site that it's recommended to have 4 GB of RAM and a dual core CPU to run the game. Of course, you can run the game on a less capable configuration but I don't get why is recommended to have a dual-core CPU and 4 GB RAM, given that it's a 2D game without many bells and whistles.
As I said this is just a small curiosity, not a complaint of any kind.
I agree that seems like a very large amount of RAM, especially compared to older versions.

However, by today's standards, that's not actually very much memory. Microsoft recommends having 2 GB of memory just to run 64-bit Windows 10.
Naron

Post by Naron »

2 GB RAM is not very much by today's standards but Wesnoth is 32-bit and not as heavy as Windows 10, that is why I was surprised. At least I think Wesnoth is not as large and complex as Windows 10, I can be wrong.
Can a game be as complex as an OS?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

To clarify/for future reference, 1.14 is 32-bit on Windows only (macOS and Linux have been 64-bit for a while), and starting with 1.15.3 the Windows version is also 64-bit.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Naron wrote: April 13th, 2020, 1:00 pm 2 GB RAM is not very much by today's standards but Wesnoth is 32-bit and not as heavy as Windows 10, that is why I was surprised. At least I think Wesnoth is not as large and complex as Windows 10, I can be wrong.
Can a game be as complex as an OS?
Probably not for mainline content. For example, if I try starting Heir to the Throne and look at memory usage in the Windows Task Manager, it shows Wesnoth using less than 300 MB:
Heir to the Throne memory usage
Heir to the Throne memory usage
But as noted above, add-ons might use a lot more than this - if I try starting a large add-on campaign like Return to Trent, it shows more than 600 MB:
Return to Trent memory usage
Return to Trent memory usage
The memory usage will probably increase as the game progresses.
Naron

Post by Naron »

Then I cannot wait for the day when Wesnoth will require an octa-core processor and 16 GB RAM to run. (just kidding) ;)

OK, I get it now, those requirements are "just in case". Thanks for clarifications.