Need feedback on making one last campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of the options described in the post should I pick for my next campaign?

A Very Wesnoth CreepyPasta
30%
I'm the Bad Guy
30%
High fantasy grail-style quest
30%
Hero's Journey/Joseph Campbell
10%
We do not need or want another campaign
No votes

Total votes: 10

MathBrush

Need feedback on making one last campaign

Post by MathBrush »

Hello!

I've been making Wesnoth campaigns since 2018. While I've always enjoyed Wesnoth's main campaigns and many of the UMC campaigns (especially the Ooze one and Invasion from the Unknown), I've always wanted to know what playing the multiplayer factions are like since I don't have time to play real multiplayer.

That's why I've made campaigns for each of the factions, where you play as that faction and face all the other factions as well. I've made one for almost every mainline faction now (including Dunefolk). They've ranged from serious campaigns where I tried to mimic mainline style (like Asheviere's Shadow) to ridiculous campaigns where I was just putting anything in (like Santa Must Die, a rebels campaign where the merfolk and wose are mutant creations by evil Santa and they join the worker elves rebellion).

I still need to make a loyalist faction campaign. I've put it off for several years as there are already so many Loyalist campaigns.

But I have a few ideas now, and I could use some help in picking which idea to go with.

Option 1: A Very Wesnoth CreepyPasta. This would be a 'glitched game' story, like Violet Town or Ben Drowned, but not as dark. The cover story would be me showing a friend one of my old campaigns, but it keeps glitching out and jumping from campaign to campaign. Shadowy figures would appear and say things that forum users have said about my campaigns. The actual gameplay would be all of the loyalist levels from my other campaigns, but you play from the other side. It would have some CYOA-style options where you can skip levels with game glitches or just play normally.

Option 2: I'm the Bad Guy. This would be a game with a normal fantasy story but you're the villain. At least 2 and possibly all scenarios would have you not only defeat the enemy but make sure some of your allies die too as you poison and murder your way to the top. On easy, you would control a couple enemy units and your allies in order to make it easy to kill them; on Medium, you'd only control ally and your own troops; on hard, you wouldn't control the ally, and would have to work the map to get them to die.

Option 3: High fantasy grail-style quest. This would be inspired by the famous quest stories of Arthurian legend. The hero would seek a grail-like object that is holy or can defeat the liches of the ancient continent, but it would require journeying great distances, explaining why you fight drakes, dunefolk, elves, etc.

Option 4: Hero's Journey/Joseph Campbell This would be a quest following the plot points Joseph Campbell talks about in the Heros' Journey, basically making it like Star Wars or Eragon or LOTR. There would be a call, a refusal, a low point, etc.

Option 5: We do not need or want another campaign.
Drake Campaign: A Fiery Birth | Knalgan Alliance Campaign: Drunkards, Dwarves, and Doubloons | Dunefolk Campaign: Asheviere's Shadow | Northeners Campaign: Goblin's Glory | Undead Campaign: Shakespeare's Ghost | Rebels Campaign: Santa Must Die
white_haired_uncle

Re: Need feedback on making one last campaign

Post by white_haired_uncle »

Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.