WML Guide: feedback requested

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: WML Guide: feedback requested

Post by Pentarctagon »

Just note that modifications cannot contain unit definitions. So you could have a modification with events to alter recruit lists, but the units themselves would still need to be defined elsewhere in your add-on.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Spannerbag

Post by Spannerbag »

beetlenaut wrote: October 20th, 2018, 7:23 pm I made this campaign to teach WML to some students, so it's very simple. There are also lots of comments to explain the WML. In fact, there are more lines of comments than actual code! Apparently, "A Simple Campaign" is not being maintained any more, so this can serve as a replacement.

I bet some comments could be stated better, and there may be an inaccuracy or two, though I hope not. Anyway, I expect to upload it a few more times soon based on feedback. (I'm open to suggestions of a better name, too.) Look for "WML Guide" on the add-ons server.
No idea if this helps but - like many folk I guess - I have a very minimal stub campaign for testing.
Though playable it's really boring, however as purely an example of a basic framework it might be informative?
It's currently cluttered up with custom terrain and test units but when tidied up it's basically a _main.cfg and a couple of scenario files (maps are embedded in the scenarios as they are tiny).

If anyone's interested, please let me know and I'll either post the code here and/or put a tidied version on the add-ons server.

Cheers!
--Spannerbag
SP Campaigns: After EI (v1.14) Leafsea Burning (v1.17, v1.16)
I suspect the universe is simpler than we think and stranger than we can know.
Also, I fear that beyond a certain point more intelligence does not necessarily benefit a species...
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Spannerbag wrote: October 15th, 2022, 3:09 pm
beetlenaut wrote: October 20th, 2018, 7:23 pm I made this campaign to teach WML to some students, so it's very simple. There are also lots of comments to explain the WML. In fact, there are more lines of comments than actual code! Apparently, "A Simple Campaign" is not being maintained any more, so this can serve as a replacement.

I bet some comments could be stated better, and there may be an inaccuracy or two, though I hope not. Anyway, I expect to upload it a few more times soon based on feedback. (I'm open to suggestions of a better name, too.) Look for "WML Guide" on the add-ons server.
No idea if this helps but - like many folk I guess - I have a very minimal stub campaign for testing.
Though playable it's really boring, however as purely an example of a basic framework it might be informative?
It's currently cluttered up with custom terrain and test units but when tidied up it's basically a _main.cfg and a couple of scenario files (maps are embedded in the scenarios as they are tiny).

If anyone's interested, please let me know and I'll either post the code here and/or put a tidied version on the add-ons server.

Cheers!
--Spannerbag
I wonder if it's worth any effort to publish some templates for eras/factions/campaigns/mp-campaigns/hybrid-campaigns/scenarios/mp-scenarios on the add-ons server to help starting UMC authors. I think most suffer from the basic structuring of the dirs and files so templates would be highly beneficial.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Spannerbag wrote: October 15th, 2022, 3:09 pm I have a very minimal stub campaign for testing....as purely an example of a basic framework it might be informative?
Informative doesn't sound like the right word. UMC authors would still need to create a framework on top of that. I think yours would be much more useful the way you are using it. If I were going to post it, I would put a description like this: "Absolute minimum campaign for testing--only three files!" or whatever. (Personally, I use a copy of WML_Guide these days.)
Lord-Knightmare wrote: October 15th, 2022, 3:15 pm I wonder if it's worth any effort to publish some templates
A template pack probably would be useful, but I have no plans to make one.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: October 15th, 2022, 3:15 pm I wonder if it's worth any effort to publish some templates for eras/factions/campaigns/mp-campaigns/hybrid-campaigns/scenarios/mp-scenarios on the add-ons server to help starting UMC authors. I think most suffer from the basic structuring of the dirs and files so templates would be highly beneficial.
I think it would be extremely helpful. I took a long break from WML, and lately I've been using the "WML Guide" campaign to help me remember how to get started.

I was thinking about accumulating all my self-made units into a faction, but don't know how. If there was a simple instructional scenario or campaign which demonstrated how to set up a faction, that would be great.

I'm wanting to play on randomly generated maps, using my personal faction against the various Wesnoth factions, human vs. AI.
Author of:
DIY Campaign, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 1, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 2, Frogfolk Delivery Service, The Pool of Ek.
leko8731

Post by leko8731 »

Hi beetlenaut,

I just did all but modification.
1.Is there a standard way for a Modification? Nothing found that explaines it. I could start writing over an existing one but I do not see a clear structure.

2.Is there a program available to "translate" a picture of a real world map to a campaign map and edit it further afterwards?

Greetings,Leo
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

leko8731 wrote: October 15th, 2022, 8:46 pm Is there a standard way for a Modification?
You can just put the [modification] tag in your _main.cfg the same way you could also put in a [campaign] tag. The [events] in the [modification] would run inside of every scenario. You could use a prestart event to add your units to the recruit list. I hope that answers what you were asking.
leko8731 wrote: October 15th, 2022, 8:46 pm Is there a program available to "translate" a picture of a real world map to a campaign map
That would be a neat trick for an AI. However, you would need to give the AI thousands of manually-made examples to train it, and nobody is going to do that. If I wanted to do this, I would run the Wesnoth map editor at 50% transparency with my real-world map showing underneath it. Then, I could just trace it. You would have to figure out how to do that on your system though (unless you're also running KDE Plasma).
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
leko8731

Post by leko8731 »

Hi beetlenaut,
Yes, obviously, but maybe if we transfer a real map to hex-parts, give 1 hex part a "description" and then order wes... to look if hex="description" then change to grass, wood, mountains, sea or whatever. By removing in forehand all streets and unwanted features f.i. the hight would be easy starting from a hight-coloured map, or one with coloured nature aspects, and so on.
cu, Leo
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

You can overlay a hex grid on a real map in any decent paint program in a few minutes. If you have to decide what each hex represents anyway, the next step should be clicking on the tile in the map editor--not typing in the description so that the program can click on the tile for you. How could that possibly be easier? Also, you have to manually paint out features in the real image first to make it match correctly? Nobody is going to write all the code for this.

Here is a version of the BfW grid that I already had in case you don't find that step easy. (It has a transparent background.)
Spoiler:
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Is this going to be appearing on the 1.18 add-ons server soon?

I think the only change needed is to rename scorpion.png to scorpion.webp.
ZombieKnight

Post by ZombieKnight »

beetlenaut wrote: October 18th, 2022, 6:13 pm
Hi I'm porting this to 1.18 ... not sure if I can
I can put it back if you want (idk), it was for some two new people interested in mdding Wesnoth.

Could you please give me the icon from yours _server.pbl, because

Code: Select all

icon="story/landscape-bridge.jpg~CROP(0, 0, 72, 72)~BLIT(portraits/humans/mage-arch.png~CROP(54,101,240,260)~SCALE(70,70)~CS(10,10,10)~BG(0, 0, 0), 1, 1)"
Shows the icon but doesn't let me publish because of "Invalid image path"
I had saurian in profile before, but I've merged my discord profile with forum one...
Working on campaign Bandits from Brown Hills
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

ZombieKnight wrote: May 7th, 2024, 9:33 am Could you please give me the icon from yours _server.pbl, because

Code: Select all

icon="story/landscape-bridge.jpg~CROP(0, 0, 72, 72)~BLIT(portraits/humans/mage-arch.png~CROP(54,101,240,260)~SCALE(70,70)~CS(10,10,10)~BG(0, 0, 0), 1, 1)"
Shows the icon but doesn't let me publish because of "Invalid image path"
It's probably the same sort of issue I mentioned above - you need to change landscape-bridge.jpg to landscape-bridge.webp and mage-arch.png to mage-arch.webp.
ZombieKnight

Post by ZombieKnight »

Oh, You're right, my bad.
Thanks!
I had saurian in profile before, but I've merged my discord profile with forum one...
Working on campaign Bandits from Brown Hills