[closed] Merge unit animaions

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Re: Merge unit animaions

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

ZombieKnight wrote: April 20th, 2024, 9:58 am What's weird is that there's nowhere a word about your frame tags in the documentation.
…what are you talking about? In the frames section, it clearly says this:
Animation frames are defined using either the [frame] tag or a prefixed version of it, like [xxx_frame]. The xxx can be any sequence of alphanumeric characters. However, prefixes beginning with an underscore are reserve by the engine for internal use, and should generally not be used in user code. A frame of the type [frame] is said to have an empty prefix.
If that's not clear enough to let you know that you can use a bunch of different frames with different names, then please let me know how I can make it clearer.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
white_haired_uncle

Re: Merge unit animaions

Post by white_haired_uncle »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: April 20th, 2024, 1:58 pm In the frames section, it clearly says this:
Animation frames are defined using either the [frame] tag or a prefixed version of it, like [xxx_frame]. The xxx can be any sequence of alphanumeric characters. However, prefixes beginning with an underscore are reserve by the engine for internal use, and should generally not be used in user code. A frame of the type [frame] is said to have an empty prefix.
If that's not clear enough to let you know that you can use a bunch of different frames with different names, then please let me know how I can make it clearer.
I just ran into that the other day trying to figure out what [missle_frame] was. I had to read it a couple times, but I think it's not unclear. What would help me is an explanation of why you would create [my_frame] or [your_frame], preferably with an example. I think I read somewhere that [frame] and [missle_frame] could run concurrently, perhaps this is the/a reason? Either way, that's the kind of thing I'm thinking of as an example of why you would create "named frames".
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Re: [closed] Merge unit animaions

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

That's at least mentioned here. Maybe that's too easy to miss…?
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

No, now that you mention it I think it's fine. What probably happened was I followed a link to AnimationWML#Frames so I didn't read the entire page from start to finish. Or I just skimmed past it.

Maybe copy that "At any given time, an animation will display one frame for each frame prefix it can find" into the [frames] section?
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.
ZombieKnight

Post by ZombieKnight »

You're right.
I haven't read it all...
I had saurian in profile before, but I've merged my discord profile with forum one...