Names/titles of necromancers

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
holypaladin

Names/titles of necromancers

Post by holypaladin »

Many necromancers and liches bear the name/title Mal what seems to be some common name for necromancers. Sometimes, however, it seems to be some distorted form of the necromancer's first name after transformation into lich (Mebrin became Mal M'Brin) or first and last name (Malin Keshar became Mal Keshar). However, we also see the title/name Muff ( in Successor to the Throne) and many necromancers and liches do not have the additional prefix at all.
„Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam"
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Names/titles of necromancers

Post by beetlenaut »

Canonically, necromancers choose a name, and using a variation of their original name seems to be common. Hyphenated forms are also popular. IIRC, the followers of Mal-Ravanal used "Mal" to identify themselves as members of his cult. Even after he was destroyed, I suppose others could choose to use that title if he was an inspiration or roll model. (In fact, Mal-Ravanal himself could have chosen to use it after studying Mal Keshar, or maybe even learning from him directly.) There are five mainline characters who use "Muff" in their names, so I suppose he was another influential figure or cult leader. A more independent necromancer could decide not to use any prefix or change their name at all (like Aimucasur for example).
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
holypaladin

Re: Names/titles of necromancers

Post by holypaladin »

Canonically, necromancers choose a name, and using a variation of their original name seems to be common. Hyphenated forms are also popular. IIRC, the followers of Mal-Ravanal used "Mal" to identify themselves as members of his cult. Even after he was destroyed, I suppose others could choose to use that title if he was an inspiration or roll model. (In fact, Mal-Ravanal himself could have chosen to use it after studying Mal Keshar, or maybe even learning from him directly.) There are five mainline characters who use "Muff" in their names, so I suppose he was another influential figure or cult leader. A more independent necromancer could decide not to use any prefix or change their name at all (like Aimucasur for example).
Sounds pretty logical for me, I think taking more attention for this topic or expain it somewhere in game would be good. I don't remember any Mal necromancers before Mal Keshar so indeed it may be a good expanation.
„Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam"