Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
bera
Art Contributor

Re: goblin portraits

Post by bera »

kitty, that paintover could well have been used as finished version. ;) Took them into account, face looks
good now (I think). I worked with a few minor things for the rest as well, and so this is what I have:

(edit: I had worked on the nose, but yes, the nostrils should have been flatter. That is edited now.)
Attachments
imp108.png
Last edited by bera on June 3rd, 2009, 1:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
comics, comics
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Minor detail, but you missed the changing of the nostrils.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

Looks fine to me! Just fix the hand (as I tried to explain in my last post - just try to take this stance in front of a mirror and you'll see what I mean) and we'll commit him!
bera
Art Contributor

Post by bera »

well.. let's think about impaler for a moment. Honestly I'm not very happy about it, so I'll go back to it after finishing the rouser:

(changes on linework, flats and shading on face)
Attachments
rouser109_flat.png
rouser109_flat.png (113.32 KiB) Viewed 7745 times
comics, comics
bera
Art Contributor

Post by bera »

Finished aside from some minor polishing.
Attachments
rouser109.png
rouser109.png (127.13 KiB) Viewed 7578 times
comics, comics
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

Generally, really nice work and a hell lot of details - great. The rousers face has a nice amount of contrast, so you clearly learned from what kitty said, but the shading currently makes it a little asymmetric. The shadow on his right cheek should be a bit lower and somewhat more to the left to match the form of his left cheek. The clothing looks very molten as of now, as if a half-burned candle stick. You'd need to define the muscles under the clothing a lot more clearly if the shirt itself were that loose, and especially his left elbow and right shoulder->elbow region (that place where the biceps and the triceps are. My English is failing) should be brought out more. Overall, this looks like a great start, and you can definitely pull it off with some fixes.
For the dark gods!
bera
Art Contributor

Post by bera »

yes, you're quite right there.. I think I was secretly hoping the arms would turn out allright without giving them
much thought.. So yes, I suppose I should better rework them.
comics, comics
bera
Art Contributor

Post by bera »

played with his outfit, and modified the expression a bit. Though, kitty I have a feeling his ear better be shifted closer to eyes a few pixels.. anyways, oh and I hope I have the nose set allright :lol2:
Attachments
rouser109_lala2.png
rouser109_lala2.png (129.81 KiB) Viewed 6915 times
comics, comics
Tet

Post by Tet »

I like them.
What is about the Orc Archers? I think they should be next on the list.
This Evil guys project is just great!
BTW the Orc Warriors (Allready in 1,7) are awesome too!

I know this is very late: For political correctness a long nose would be just perfect. And I do not care about it. And they a allready very political correct. And they are not real evil just nocturnal. yaddayadda
My Temple Project: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29800
This is "must-play" campaign! Don´t read the thread, unless you need help. http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31895
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

LordBob's got a sketch waiting for the Orc Archer - the Goblin wolf rider line would probably be better for you, Bera.

And there's no PC problem here, Tet.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

The ear seems a bit low as well, bera, in addition to being back a bit which you noted. Drawing the line back from the eyes puts the tip of the ear at eye level.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

bera wrote:played with his outfit, and modified the expression a bit. Though, kitty I have a feeling his ear better be shifted closer to eyes a few pixels.. anyways, oh and I hope I have the nose set allright :lol2:
Nice start!

I have some problems with the lighting, though. If I look at torso and arms he seems to be completely backlit (apart from the rimlight on the inside of his right arm) but his head is lit completely from the front?! Decide which one you want to use and paint it consistentely!
And if you have cleared up the lighting situation you should also add in a shadow cast by the hand on the drum.

For the face, you already knew that the placement of the ear is strange (Is there a slit for it in the turban? If so it should be more clearly).
Apart from that the eyes are way too white (eyes are nearly never truly white - just observe you surroundings!). The placement of the eyes is problematic, too - you put them on a straight line. But the head is a sphere and their placement needs to reflect that!
And his face seems asymmetrical - while his left cheek is pretty corpulent (especially for a goblin) the other one is quite the opposite with the distinctly visible jaw bone etc. And his nose could be quite a lot bigger (about 30%), it's really tiny at the moment, while the shape is nice now.

Also re-check the size and shape of the rear hand's thumb.

You're on the right way - just polish all the details! :)
bera
Art Contributor

Post by bera »

Yes, he looked like a cute stuffed goblin doll... Made his face more cheeky and less bulgy, moved the ear, enlarged the nose a bit, tried to introduce coherent lighting, that's I took everything you said into account kitty, except the 'linear' positioning of the eyes - that's so because I failed to see any serious problem with their current setting.. anyways, so that's the what i came up with:
Attachments
rouser109_lala6.png
rouser109_lala6.png (129.63 KiB) Viewed 6160 times
comics, comics
JLS

Post by JLS »

Ahh, nice. The face looks much better; I like the expression. Looking good!
lars

Post by lars »

It would be nice detail if drum had some shamanic symbols on it.
just like in this reference. http://ateljediodelta.googlepages.com/n ... 2-full.jpg