Shakespeare's Ghost (Version 1.0 on 18.0 server)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

WLFobe

Re: Shakespeare's Ghost (Version 1.0 on 18.0 server)

Post by WLFobe »

MathBrush wrote: March 4th, 2024, 12:55 pm I’ve only updated on 1.18. I actually reformatted my computer and lost all my _server.pbl files, so I don’t really have access to update the 1.16 ones anymore. I could ask the dev team for access but with 1.18 only two weeks away I’m not sure it’s worth it.
Since I'm still at 1.16.11, how come I didn't get 1.17? There seem to be quite a few of those. Not really important if 1.18 is coming out soon.
MathBrush

Post by MathBrush »

I think the way it works is that there are always two version of wesnoth, one even numbered and one odd numbered. The even numbers are normal and stable versions while the odd numbers are experimental, possibly buggy and subject to change.

The two versions have different add-ons. I never published anything on 1.17’s servers.

Eventually, the odd numbered experimental versions get good enough that they turn it into a new even number. That’s what’s happening right now; 1.17.26 is turning into 18.0. So they closed down the 1.17 add-on servers and started up the 1.18 add-on servers. That way campaign authors like me can upload our campaigns ahead of time so that when Steam players and other get update 1.18 they don’t lose all the add-ons they ever downloaded.

If you want to play 1.18 campaigns now, you can download 1.17.26 from itch and play around with it. There’s no limit to how many versions of wesnoth you can have open at once; I have two open at a time on my computer when I’m moving info from one to another.

Otherwise, you can just wait until 1.18.0 comes out, which is scheduled for a couple weeks from now.
Drake Campaign: A Fiery Birth | Knalgan Alliance Campaign: Drunkards, Dwarves, and Doubloons | Dunefolk Campaign: Asheviere's Shadow | Northeners Campaign: Goblin's Glory | Undead Campaign: Shakespeare's Ghost | Rebels Campaign: Santa Must Die | Loyalist Campaign: Wesnoth Creepypasta
WLFobe

Post by WLFobe »

thanks
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

MathBrush wrote: March 4th, 2024, 9:15 pm If you want to play 1.18 campaigns now, you can download 1.17.26 from itch and play around with it. There’s no limit to how many versions of wesnoth you can have open at once; I have two open at a time on my computer when I’m moving info from one to another.
Heh, a few days ago I was testing a new config for Wesnoth (full window instead of full screen but with border removed making it look identical in order to avoid some bugs that 1.12.6 and 1.16 have with full screen) and I opened up 4 at once! (1.12.6, 1.14.17, 1.16.11 & 1.17.26(1.19)). You might be surprised to hear that it uses only a tiny bit more memory than opening just one. Lot of shared memory I guess.

When 1.19 officially comes out I'll have 5 installed.
MathBrush

Post by MathBrush »

Wow, 4 at a time is wild!
Drake Campaign: A Fiery Birth | Knalgan Alliance Campaign: Drunkards, Dwarves, and Doubloons | Dunefolk Campaign: Asheviere's Shadow | Northeners Campaign: Goblin's Glory | Undead Campaign: Shakespeare's Ghost | Rebels Campaign: Santa Must Die | Loyalist Campaign: Wesnoth Creepypasta