Sea Serpent Portrait WIP

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

I think the snake is great (though it could use a bit more contrast in shading), but the problem is that the water looks more like a cloud with lightnings than water. The effect in the mermen/maid images are pretty good, I would look there for reference.

If you want the submerged parts to show through, they must be distorted by the ripples in the water, because we can't expect the water remain dead calm around the moving snake. I have been practicing with displacement maps recently, and tried something on your picture to create the distorted effect (I had to use the one with wrong texture, because it
was the only one without water).

The first picture shows only the underwater parts, no reflections in the water surface. In the second one, I tried to make some reflections by creating a mirror image of the above surface parts, and distorting that by the same displacement map. The picture got pretty messy, though, and the whole approach is probably too 'realistic' for a cartoonish picture.

(NOTE: this is supposed only to be a proof (or disproof) of concept, the real image with this method should be done in larger size to get smoother results).
Attachments
sea_serpent2.png
sea_serpent2.png (86.45 KiB) Viewed 4612 times
sea_serpent1.png
sea_serpent1.png (78.79 KiB) Viewed 4612 times
JW

Post by JW »

Wow, that effect loks like it has great potential. I'd like to see that effect added somehow.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Really nice, indeed. The style might be a tad bit too realistic as you suspected, but it still looks awesome. :P Anyway, if this effect is included in the final portrait somehow, it would be nice to have it applied to the existing mermen portraits as well.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

One note is that you'll have to remove the pixelation from the reflection, it may be distorted, but it should still be smooth.

Aside from that it's really nice, if the bottom half of the background was made to be blue instead of black, or more of a blue tinge to it would make it better (When I saw it first it took a couple of seconds for what it was to sink in, this would help with that)
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

A bit of blue in the water, and smoothened reflection (the displacement map tool of GIMP doesn't have much in the way of antialiasing, the pictures tend to get grainy. It helps some to make the images in larger size and then scale down. My modifications were made to the original small size).
Attachments
sea_serpent3.png
sea_serpent3.png (90.13 KiB) Viewed 4533 times
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:A bit of blue in the water, and smoothened reflection (the displacement map tool of GIMP doesn't have much in the way of antialiasing, the pictures tend to get grainy. It helps some to make the images in larger size and then scale down. My modifications were made to the original small size).
I meant going over it with the paintbrush tool and doing it manually, which wouldn't be too hard to do, although timeconsuming (well, at least for me, but that's only because I have a tablet, if you don't have one then it would be harder)

EDIT: BTW, where in GIMP can you do displacement maps, I didn't realise that you could, I thought that you had done this in photoshop.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Filters -> Map filters -> Displace

The maps (one for x-displacement and one for y) are to be greyscale images in their own layers.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

the displacement map tool of GIMP doesn't have much in the way of antialiasing, the pictures tend to get grainy.
Actually, as I just noticed, the graininess of the distorted image may well be caused by the graininess of the displacement map. Blurring the map helps a lot.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

The problem with the ripples is that the water seems too placid to support the serpent. I'd prefer something more resembling the violent surging from earlier.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

:? The water line still doesn't curve properly around his chest.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

I agree, and my picture was just a quick hack to present a different approach to render the water. I'll leave it to Pic to decide what to use, and I can post the xcf file to show how it was done if it needs to be applied for real (rougher water can be made by rougher displacement map).
Pic
Art Contributor

Post by Pic »

I also prefer such a watery style! Although the mermen would have to be redone to also have the same effect, I’ll look into this displacement mapping business at some point. I've been quite busy recently.
Pic
Art Contributor

Post by Pic »

Some kind of .... half way point.
Attachments
Sea_Serpent.png
Sea_Serpent.png (71.23 KiB) Viewed 4220 times
Pic
Art Contributor

Post by Pic »

Tweaked a few things
Attachments