[Historical] Heir to the Throne: Finished!

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

AquaRegia

Do we have to start ALL over?

Post by AquaRegia »

Ok guys, back to the original topic:

I'm glad HTtT is finished, but can I use my previously saved games (v0.8) to finish it? My wife is going to be pissed if I have to start all over again after spending 2 weeks to get to the "clans" scenario...

Thanks!
Dave
Founding Developer

Re: Do we have to start ALL over?

Post by Dave »

AquaRegia wrote: I'm glad HTtT is finished, but can I use my previously saved games (v0.8) to finish it? My wife is going to be pissed if I have to start all over again after spending 2 weeks to get to the "clans" scenario...
Just a game saved at the end of 'Re-entry into Wesnoth' or earlier, and it should be fine. Games saved during or at the end of 'Test of the Clans' won't work.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

Dave wrote:Games saved during or at the end of 'Test of the Clans' won't work.
unless you select 'Show replay', or hack the savefile...
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Dacyn wrote:
Dave wrote:Games saved during or at the end of 'Test of the Clans' won't work.
unless you select 'Show replay', or hack the savefile...
Games replayed aren't that likely to work cross-version.

Hacking the savefile is, of course, another option...

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
AquaRegia

Post by AquaRegia »

OK, thanks. Going back and replaying one battle isn't a big deal.

I just noticed that my attempt to put "v0.8" in parentheses resulted in an unintended smiley. How cute.
pto

Post by pto »

I finnished the HTTT campaign last week but I didn't like the end. And here is how I would change it.

1. Remove the last twist and add it it to the Elven Council scenario. Perhaps Delfador could have fierce argument with the elves and would finally be forced to releav the truth. Last twist fel a bit ridiculous for me.

2. Put Lisar in charge after the Elven Council. Nice change, with Scepter she is stronger than Konrad, and she looks better too.

3. Recreate the Return to the Wesnoth so that there is one Ochish enemy behind our heros and two Wesnothian in front. After the Sceptre is used first time to the Wesnothians they join our heros and start fighting agains the orcs. Possible dialogue:
Anon: My Lord, they seem to wield an artifact with spectacular power.
General 1: That is the Sceptre of Fire. I have heard that only heir to the throne can wield it.
Someone: But this is Lisar, she is traitor...
General 1: I will not raise my hand against the Scepter.
Orc General: You cowards and traitors, I will eat you all.

4. More catfighting to the last scenario. Make it personal between Lisar and the Queen.

As it is now, the Scepter does not seem to be that important. Ok, it is a good weapon, but to owerthrow the Queen no single weapon can be enough. And half of the campaing is merely running after it.

These are my 2 cents, sorry to post these after freeze.

pto
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

one MAJOR problem with all of your suggestions.

Li'sar is not the only one who can get the sceptre! Konrad can have it too!

that, and most of your suggestions i wouldn't like anyway, for various reasons.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Circon

Post by Circon »

Why can Konrad get the scepter if he is not the rightful heir to the throne?
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

pto wrote:1. Remove the last twist and add it it to the Elven Council scenario.
The Elven Council is meant to be foreshadowing... which there wouldn't be enough of if it was also where the twist was. :wink:
pto wrote:2. Put Lisar in charge after the Elven Council.
The dialog in Elven Council definitely implies that Li'sar is in charge (even if she doesn't get the Scepter)...
pto wrote:3. Recreate the Return to the Wesnoth so that there is one Ochish enemy behind our heros and two Wesnothian in front. After the Sceptre is used first time to the Wesnothians they join our heros and start fighting agains the orcs.
that doesn't seem balanced...
pto wrote:As it is now, the Scepter does not seem to be that important. Ok, it is a good weapon, but to owerthrow the Queen no single weapon can be enough. And half of the campaing is merely running after it.
True...
Circon wrote:Why can Konrad get the scepter if he is not the rightful heir to the throne?
whichever member of the royal family could retrieve the Scepter of Fire would rule the land.
Invisible Philosopher

Post by Invisible Philosopher »

Circon wrote:Why can Konrad get the scepter if he is not the rightful heir to the throne?
He believes he is... Obviously it's not an intrinsic property of the Sceptre to be unwieldable by non-heirs, it's just a universally held belief.
Some random unit, approaching the Sceptre of Fire wrote:This is the Sceptre of Fire. Only a true successor to the throne can possibly dare to take this!
(my bold)
Play a Silver Mage in the Wesvoid campaign.