A New Order art

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Wussel

Re: A New Order art

Post by Wussel »

I just doubled the code for the elvish houses. But I have no idea how to make user made terrain. It should be possible to place an image on a given layer and a given location, even if it is multihex. I have no idea why it is so difficult. Maybe doofus can help. After placing the layer will cause the next headache.
szopen

Post by szopen »

The brother of my wife has a laptop with internet access:) guess no rural area in P{oland is rural enough nowadays...

Buyt I have no access to my own laptop, with all my data and so on. I don't even have the access to any computer with linux on-board, and I can't install here the wesnoth. As such, I still cannot do much until i will be back in home.

Now, it seems to me that no one this days reads the readme.txt files within campaign distribution (Hi Wussel :) ). If anyone would want to help, to contribute an image or contribute few euros to make possible to ordere more images from my artists, theere is a list called ART_TODO within a campaign, and if anyone would want to contribute anything, I have moneybookers and paypal accounts (called szopen@europe.com). See readme.txt for details. If you are an artist, I would love to hear from you if you want to contribute. I need two crucial portraits: Grekulak and Yahyazad, and several less crucial. In addition, it would be nice to get more story images.

Right now Sigil and I have paid about 300USD (I think) which makes it probably the highest cost campaign in wesnoth :-) :-).

Please be patient. I have no access to my own laptop and my internet access will be highly irregular.
"Even when the Slav is gay the effort is often evident" -- P. R. RADOSAVLJEVICH
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

In that case I would like to sponsor the portrait of Yahyazad. I will send you 60 Zloty by Paypal.

I think your artist is quit capable. He just needs same guiding on Wesnoth style. If you check the files of WTactics you can see a learning curve there too.
It is about using outlines and less contrast (more flat color) I believe. But an artist should be better in explaining this stuff.
szopen

Post by szopen »

I got it. I will order an portrait from my artist as soon as I will be back home
szopen

Post by szopen »

And here is the Yahyazad description i will send to my artist:

Yahyazad is a mercenary warrior, but an educated one. He can read and write, he appreciate good poetry and good wine. At the same time he is dangerous fighter. His behaviour is rather calm and he likes to act like warriors from higher class. He is slim, dark skinned, bald, with dark beard. He should be somehow similar to arabic warriors conquering Spain. He is about 40 yaers old.

I wonder whether I should add that he has only one eye (Yaranov has just one eye)
szopen

Post by szopen »

This is my wishlist for images for A New Order campaign. If you would want to contribute, pleease pick on of the items below (you may also donate via paypal; my account is szopen@europe.com).

Images posted here are from the OLD "A New Order" and they are already removed from the campaign and they do not reflect the desired or existing quality of ANO sotry images.

PORTRAITS
---------
* Grekulak
* Generic "bad" Akladian lord (could be used for Hoyre and Uri van Roe and others)
* Hagarthen kings: Luc, Buffin, Gauri (one generic king is enough)
* Uri Van Roe
* Generic "good" Akladian high level unit (e.g. Protector, Shieldguard, maybe
also Fastfoot)
* Generic "bad" Akladian high level unit (e.g. Darknite, Sturmknight)
* "Broken" Ruvio, after fall of freetown (preferrably bought from Santiago Iborra,
if we will find the funds which seems unlikely.., especially since Iborra charges more)
* Generic low-level Akladian unit with swords (Raiders+Homeguard,
* Generic Akladian unit with spears (Pikeneer, Warrior, Clansman, LightInfantry)
* Generic leading units (Chieftain+leader - this is very low priority)
* Another version of Karen picture (low priority)

STORY IMAGES
------------
These images are sometimes replacements for old story images, which were removed because of low quality. They are within attachment here:

* Lorin, Yahyazad, Gawen and Karin getting drunk during feast in Freetown
story_uczta.png
* Blinded Lorin telling her final story
* Lorin riding into Khalifate sietch
* "Lorin became more taciturn" after talk with Oracle (sitting outside camp and
gazing into the sky)
* Akladians invading Wesnoth -- plundering, wondering what spoons are for, and
trying to hear the stories imprisoned within books (for prologue)
story_fire.png
* Mother of Gawen and Akladians intriguing behind her back (for prologue)
* Lorin next to poisoned Gawen (for prologue)
* Lorin vs Karen finally getting along
story_lorin_karen.png
* furious Bor Cryne wishing for finding Gawen's body
* An image illustrating how Grekulak escaped through the swamps (to Deorien's
story: a dark silquette on dark background)
* An image illustrating a rebellion of Akladians against Grekulak
* An image illustrating escape of Akladians across the deserts (to Deorien's story)
* An image illustrating the siege of Weldyn (Akladians sturming walls)
* An image illustrating how the Akladian treat the traitor, who opened the
gates of Weldyn
* akladians overpowering Lorin (in scenario after orannon)
story_powerless.png
* images for the epilogue (Ruvios burial, Lorin riding to the khalifate
sietches with her son)
* Lorin finding Yahyazad (for "Hired swords")
story_yaranov.png
Images posted here are from the OLD "A New Order" and they are already removed from the campaign and they do not reflect the desired or existing quality of ANO sotry images.
Last edited by szopen on February 17th, 2013, 11:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
szopen

Post by szopen »

First sketch of Majid Yahyazad from Łukasz Zaręba.

I am not really quite satisfied, but I wait for comments
majid.jpg
direfish

Post by direfish »

Totally lacks Khalifate flavour.
Also he doesn't even look like a leader of mercenary company...
Needs complete overhaul, imho.
szopen

Post by szopen »

Hm, except for one mery fellow from Era Khalifate, is there any more portraits showing "Khalifate flavour"?
direfish

Post by direfish »

szopen wrote:Hm, except for one mery fellow from Era Khalifate, is there any more portraits showing "Khalifate flavour"?
I don't think so. I was rather speaking of Khalifate unit sprites. Those look clearly arabian or turk, while this fellow is kinda.. slavic?
szopen

Post by szopen »

In the meantime, Hoyre o Barnone, first sketch by Łukasz Zaręba. I intend to ask for him being a bit older and with more madder face.
Hoyre.jpg
szopen

Post by szopen »

Second version of Majid. Wussel, are you here? You are paying for this, so what is your opinion?
majid2a.jpg
And all others - shoudl Majid be one-eyed, or not?
direfish

Post by direfish »

At least this one looks like a seasoned mercenary.
Eye-patch kinda adds bonus badassery points.
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

i suggest to apply eye patches on portraits where the eye looks wrong.
meaning, not this time, because it would be a pity if that left eye got covered up (assuming you will not spoil it with shading).

the thickness of the index and middle finger seems ok, but the hands seem kind of bit narrow, and the little finger should not be covered at this angle, i think.
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

Second version of Majid.
He looks world-weary, and yet somehow serene and majestic like Aragorn. I completely agree with Homunculus, the eyes add a lot of depth to his expression, contributing to that idea that he is someone who has seen to much of the world, too uch death and suffering. He looks proud, and exactly the kind of person who would love Lorin.
High over valleys in the red levelling rays -
In din of crowded streets, going among the years, the faces,
May I still meet my memory in so lonely a place
Between the streams and the red clouds, hearing the curlews, Hearing the horizons endure.