A New Order art

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
szopen

Re: A New Order art

Post by szopen »

Majid Yahyazad. If there will be no comments, he will be included in the next release of ANO
majid5.png
"Even when the Slav is gay the effort is often evident" -- P. R. RADOSAVLJEVICH
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Awesome! I like him. It would be great if Lord Bob would spent some efforts of explaining the use of outlines for this gifted artist. The colors are great. The pose looks good. the face too. The arm holding the helmet makes me look at some real life reference. I envisioned some elder Antonio Banderas in the 13th warrior. Her hit the spot. Please pass my compliments on.
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

I've been revisiting some sprites, quite a lot is changed. No more facial hair and less armor... That is, less metal and more fur, hide and leather. I would like to keep the stubble on the raider line if its OK. It looks more menacing.

I'm wondering if I should give the rest of the unit lines (besides raider) the ponytail kind of hair as the nice portraits are depicted with? Yes I know that the clansmans hair look a bit out of place. Just experimenting for now.

A bit late comment for the portrait of Yahyazad: It's a nice portrait but I cant shake the impression his upper arm of the one holding the helm is a bit too long.
Attachments
Akladiansrev1.png
Akladiansrev1.png (22.25 KiB) Viewed 6726 times
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Those sprites look great, especially those in the second row.
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

damn, those look good.
and the poses seem to have a lot of character fitting for their levels :shock:

well, there is just one place i am suspicious about, and that's the perspective of the belt buckle on the belt of the top unit (assuming the body is slightly tilted forward), and even that looks like it makes a better composition the way it is.
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
szopen

Post by szopen »

Sleepwalker wrote:I've been revisiting some sprites, quite a lot is changed. No more facial hair and less armor... That is, less metal and more fur, hide and leather. I would like to keep the stubble on the raider line if its OK. It looks more menacing.
It IS OK. Actually, facial hair could be still there - as I said, this was Sigil's suggestion, which made sense at the time, but it's nothing written at the stone.
I'm wondering if I should give the rest of the unit lines (besides raider) the ponytail kind of hair as the nice portraits are depicted with? Yes I know that the clansmans hair look a bit out of place. Just experimenting for now.
While the default hairstyle is the "ponytail", some units may have different styles.
A bit late comment for the portrait of Yahyazad: It's a nice portrait but I cant shake the impression his upper arm of the one holding the helm is a bit too long.
Too late to correct, unfortunately.
szopen

Post by szopen »

Sleepwalker - I have posted your sprites to my artist. The artist will be making the top guy (sturmknight) and a new lord. If you have new revision of an akladian lord, I could post it to my artist too, so there will be some consistency between portraits and units.

An actual pack with separate pngs for each sprite would be nice too - would save me a bit of work with cutting the sprites out of png.
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

It should be known that with the sturmknight I was inspired by one of the more barbarous depictions of attila the hun... For the Protector i was going to have some scaled leather armor and I'm thinking about using helm similar to http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/5836/002nh2.jpg maybe.

I was definitely going to go with the toga and some lamellar armor ala bor cryne's portrait for the lord... probably with a few more armor patches and decorations. I think the sprite would need some more of that because the line has 2 previous units in the line which should have decent equipment too. The lord is supposed to be the final upgrade.

:hmm: Guess I could go the same way as with the footpad and poacher lines in that the units don't really get better protective equipment but still look more formidable...

I'm not really 100% satisfied with any of the unit lines depiction.
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Sorry for not making separate unit png's, you will find the new ones in the rar archive.

I revised all the sprites a bit more. I think these are final now unless there's some objection. Also the protector: hope you like. I took your comment into consideration homonculus, thanks.
Attachments
akladians.rar
(49.87 KiB) Downloaded 298 times
Akladiansrev2.png
Akladiansrev2.png (27.06 KiB) Viewed 6468 times
- Nercy Masayon
szopen

Post by szopen »

Thanks, Sleepwalker! I will prepare new version with improved sprites before the New Year's Eve; I will only check whether there is any chance to get new portraits too.
szopen

Post by szopen »

The Sleepwalker's sprites look even better when in-game :) It's not that the previous version was worse; in fact, i liked it slightly better, and the only problem was that they were not that consistent with the updated portraits. But when in-game, they really look cool.

Sleepwalker, any chance of having fastfoot and new lords, including lords on their kness for the 03 scenario?
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

hi just in case you dont know who sent it, i dropped you some zloty for a scene
szopen

Post by szopen »

tr0ll wrote:hi just in case you dont know who sent it, i dropped you some zloty for a scene
Thanks! I ordered a portrait from my artist, but the story image will go next. Do you have any specific wishes?
szopen

Post by szopen »

In the meantime, the sketch for the "generic akladian lord" to be used as replacement for current old Akladian lord pictures.
barbarian.jpg
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

szopen wrote:
tr0ll wrote:hi just in case you dont know who sent it, i dropped you some zloty for a scene
Thanks! I ordered a portrait from my artist, but the story image will go next. Do you have any specific wishes?
This one
* An image illustrating escape of Akladians across the swamps

i was initially thinking to have it in the style of a tapestry/wall-hanging, but the Akladians dont value material keepsakes and i doubt the Saurians would want to illustrate the event. So how about something impressionistic, showing the desperation and despair and maybe stealth as pursuers are left behind but new foes loom ahead.

i must admit i have so far failed to survive the previous scenario long enough or with leveled units to make it through the swamps :(