An Orcish Might | 5 Scenario Singleplayer campaign 1.18

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Numero

An Orcish Might | 5 Scenario Singleplayer campaign 1.18

Post by Numero »

Edit: I have finished the campaign and now uploaded that version on 1.18, I will still read all feeback to fix bugs, spelling mistakes, balancing or other. I am also open to expanding the campaign in the future, so your ideas are welcome. An Orcish Might is my first ever campaign, I hope you like it. I tried to make the difficulty for people who know wesnoth, but are not the absolut experts. I am also not an English native speaker, so there may be mistakes

This is the feedback forum for the Orc Might singleplayer campaign. If you have played the campaign and have any comments regarding it (bugs, difficulty, wml, design, story, etc.), feel free to post about it here, I am interested in reading it, even if it is a petty thing. There are always things that might need some polishing.
Also, if you think this campaign sucks, tell me why (it might be corrected).

From the description:
Play as a young orcish chief, that has to prove himself worthy of the bloodthorn throne. Experience his story as he goes for the biggest prize of them all "Wesnoth". Learn how the history of the kingdom of Wesnoth is changed forever by the orcish tribe of Bloodthorns, a civil war is averted, alliances forged that only a few years early may have seemed impossible.

What makes this campaign special:
-Interesting and changing objectives (Big battles, race to kill, survive, 3/5 scenarios have no turn limit, different/changing team combinations...)
-Many colorful, changing and realistic characters.
-Integrates with established wesnoth lore and expands it (Can be seen as a prequel to ‘Descent into Darkness’)
-Varied map size and terrain
-Fight mostly against different humans and some elves and other orcs
-A lot of specially coded unique mechanics/events (rallying fleeing troops to fight for you, comedic ghouls and trolls, special map-wide attacks...)
If you encounter any bugs, please notify me, so they can be fixed.
NOW FINISHED
5 scenarios (all battle) - medium difficulty level.

Discord: @numero8181
Last edited by Numero on April 11th, 2024, 1:54 am, edited 11 times in total.
Heindal

Re: Orc Might

Post by Heindal »

Just to inform you. It is not available on the add-on server for version 1.16 (which is the current stable version of battle for wesnoth). I just searched for Orc Might and didn't find it? For what version of Battle for Wesnoth did you make the add-on? Or it is only available on github?

You should add these informations.

Regards

Heindal
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Numero

Post by Numero »

Thanks for your intererst, the issue was I published it under the development name "libertytwo" for 1.16. That should be fixed now and you should be able to find it under "orc might".
Regards
Numeros
BajMic

Post by BajMic »

Orcs are my favorite faction, so I was really enthusiastic to play your campaign.

I really liked the idea of the competitive race between two Orc leaders in the first level! It definitely fits the faction.

My criticisms are the following:

- Bloodthorne orc only has 18 hp. I.e., is a lvl 1 unit with life of 0 lvl unit. For comparison - Grunt has around 38hp, Peasant has 18hp.
- Bloodthorne orcs are missing XP bars, so it is not possible to AMLA them.
- The "Fin-ners" label made me think taking this village will trigger some event, which incentivizes risking an unit early for nothing.
- Are these Tropical Deep Water tiles? So colorful, perhaps use Gray Water tiles?
- There are spelling errors, e.g., one time it says "orc", the other it says "ork". The latter might cause some infringements.
rmj

Post by rmj »

Scenario 2: Kurt on easy. Rormuk held off the humans for about fifty turns before finally dying, which I doubt you intended. I suggest not increasing Rormuk's income, but keep it about the same as for the normal level.

Why put the bloodthorne orc in the recruit list? It is a worthless unit: weak attacks, easily killed, expensive, and cannot advance.
rmj
Numero

Post by Numero »

Thanks a lot for the feedback, for now I have removed the bloodthorn orc from the campaign. I'm not sure, I defenitly want to give them at least one special unit (even just to make to recruit list more varied). But I am not sure what the unit should be able to do and how it should be balanced, if you have any ideas feel free to tell them.

I actually have put a event at the Fin-ners level now, but warning it's not a good one ;). Yeah spelling errors are all over the place I try to remove them, but it feels like a hydra, when killing one ten more pop up. I have removed the ork one, when you see one feel free to call me out.

No fifty rounds were not intended for now only normal is playable, I'm not able to balance all three for now.

I have not noticed the water tiles, I'll have a look at them.

@rmj @BajMic
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Usual practive would be to include an acronym of the campaign name at the beginning of it's save.
The Raid would be OM-The Raid. Makes it also easier to find the save later

S1
Spoiler:
S2
Spoiler:
S3
Spoiler:
S4
Spoiler:
The 'Tragdad has to go here' is not removed/updated when you accomplish that goal.
The orcish leader 'Death' doesn't move to recruit unless an enemy unit is in range.
The scenario end if you defeat all enemy leaders, even if the last goal of the scenario hasn't been accomplished.
The human ally stays on the map.
Attachments
The Clash replay 20231108-171420.gz
(58.74 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
03 Mages replay 20231105-210311.gz
(38.81 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
Die Furt replay 20231101-180805.gz
(33.89 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
The Raid replay 20231101-163942.gz
(20.71 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
Numero

Re: Orc Might | 5 Scenario Singleplayer campaign 1.16

Post by Numero »

Thanks a lot for playing the campaign, I hope you liked it, I looked at your replays, pretty interesting, most of the things you mentioned should now be addressed. I have worked a lot on the fourth scenario. Most major elements of it are now done (except the story after you win + I want to remove the players ability to see the other side of the river.

I need some help, I now added a opportunity for the player to get a new unit once in the fourth scenario and I would like it to be a dwarf, are there any really new dwarf UMC made dwarf units?

And secondly i want to add a book in the third scenario that gives the reader a special magic fire attack, but I don‘t really know how to do that, I would appreciate any help.
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.
Numero

Post by Numero »

Yeah I looked at them and managed to add a book that gives a Fire attack, thanks a lot!
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

One small feedback:
Preferably add an abbrevation for you campaign, so it's easier to filter for its save files.
For example:
white_haired_uncle wrote:

Code: Select all

Abbrev= _ "OM"
in the [campaign] section of _main.cfg
Numero

Post by Numero »

So, I have worked on it a bit more, just FYI I still would love feedback :D

Done
Spoiler:
TODO/Plans
Spoiler:
Numero

Re: An Orcish Might | 5 Scenario Singleplayer campaign 1.18

Post by Numero »

I finished the campaign and ported it to 1.18, I hope you like it!