Campaign) The Season of the Mist

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Aucrin-Ix-Seis

Campaign) The Season of the Mist

Post by Aucrin-Ix-Seis »

The Season of the Mist
Forum thread.

Welcome reader, to this virtual space. This thread in the forum is to report any bugs and suggestion about the campaign "The Season of the Mist". Feel free to request a feature, though I can't make promises about its incorporation. As of January 2024, this campaign has reached the Beta status, which means the basic systems are fully functional; however is planned to include many more.

Changelog
0.6.10~Beta) First version of the campaign

Aucrin Ix Seis
white_haired_uncle

Re: Campaign) The Season of the Mist

Post by white_haired_uncle »

At the alchemist, I'm carrying 87.12 stones? A measure of weight?

Information>Campaign Information does nothing

Code: Select all

20240202 12:30:09 error scripting/lua: ...Mist/quests/chapter01/01-A_letter_for_an_enchantress.lua:146: variable 'kInterface_Message' must be assigned before being used
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function '.error'
	lua/ilua.lua:138: in metamethod 'index'
	...Mist/quests/chapter01/01-A_letter_for_an_enchantress.lua:146: in function '.Chapter_I_Quest_I'
	..._The_Season_of_the_Mist/utils/07-Campaign.f/01-Quest.lua:53: in function '.Campaign_Quest'
	...he_Season_of_the_Mist/utils/01-Main.f/05-Event_nexus.lua:105: in function '.Main_Event_First_Turn'
	[string "Main_Event_First_Turn('Code')"]:1: in local 'bytecode'
	lua/wml-tags.lua:265: in local 'cmd'
	lua/wml-utils.lua:144: in field 'handle_event_commands'
	lua/wml-flow.lua:5: in function <lua/wml-flow.lua:4>
Shortly after I started getting messages about lack of resources, no idea what to do about that, it counted down to zero, now every turn..

20240202 12:34:33 error scripting/lua: ...e_Mist/utils/02-Character.f/06-Character_status_turn.lua:154: variable 'uUnit' must be assigned before being used
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function '.error'
	lua/ilua.lua:138: in metamethod 'index'
	...e_Mist/utils/02-Character.f/06-Character_status_turn.lua:154: in function '.Character_Status_Turn_Start'
	...he_Season_of_the_Mist/utils/01-Main.f/05-Event_nexus.lua:71: in function '.Main_Event_Turn_Refresh'
	[string "Main_Event_Turn_Refresh('Code')"]:1: in local 'bytecode'
Went to Northern Forest, now I can't escape (Hunters Camp is broken).

I'm currently stuck trying to "speak to a person of authority". I thought that would be the discussion at Fiery Vial, but no. Can't find anything on the map to do.
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Selecting the 'Campaign Information' sadly closes the dialog. :(

S00_Beginning
piece of crap -> piece of crap.

Some of the places are named in mexican.

I think an additional menu 'button' would be great, with which I could close the open dialog instead of just climbing up the dialog above.

Opening Information -> Character Status -> Equipment Status closes the dialog when clicking Equipment status away.
Clicking 'Exit' in the dialog 'Consumables' closes the dialog instead of returning me to the menu above it.
Same for clicking 'Exit' in the 'Drop Loot' dialog.

Equipment Status
Gives 'Status' instead of 'Durability'.
Eficiency -> Efficiency

Actions
Bointiful -> Bountiful
Aucrin-Ix-Seis

Re: Version 0.6.11-Beta

Post by Aucrin-Ix-Seis »

Version 0.6.11-Beta) The new version has been uploaded.
Fixed - The abnormalities that prevent you to reach the last scenario of the first chapter.
Improvement - Also, the alchemical system has been revised to be more processor effective. Since this required to create additional variables, it's needed to start the campaign again. Sorry.

Also fixed
white_haired_uncle - At the alchemist, I'm carrying 87.12 stones? A measure of weight?
Yes, that is my entirely fictional weight measuring unit.
white_haired_uncle - Shortly after I started getting messages about lack of resources, no idea what to do about that, it counted down to zero, now every turn...
This was an intended "game over", due to lack of resources. Each character unit requires to keep their levels of hunger and thirst below 50 to prevent this effect. Of course, since I neglected the 'Campaign information' button, there was no way you could have known. In short, you need to procure 'food rations' and 'water bottles' for Leuvhan. These can be acquired in shops in cities, or by the contextual menu of actions in the 'Conquered ravines' scenario.
white_haired_uncle - Went to Northern Forest, now I can't escape (Hunters Camp is broken).
Yes, I made a mistake and the locations were accessible before the end of the first chapter: those were not supposed to.
Konrad2 - Some of the places are named in mexican.
Yeah, some locations have names in Portuguese. I don't want these to be translated so I'm not registering these strings with the mark of translation.
Konrad2 - I think an additional menu 'button' would be great, with which I could close the open dialog instead of just climbing up the dialog above.
Granted. The option to the previous menu is in the same place, the exit to game option is the last option in each secondary menu.
The exit option has been revised.
white_haired_uncle

The selections in the campaign information are empty until the first scenario.

also
20240215 15:06:25 error config: Multiple [unit_type]s with id=MfaW_Hollow_Arch_Mage encountered.
20240215 15:06:37 error display: error parsing image modifications: SCALE(55,55))

Only made it to enchantress forest this time. Can't find the way out, and ghosts kill me after a couple turns anyway.
Aucrin-Ix-Seis

Post by Aucrin-Ix-Seis »

Quickfix - Uploading code right now
white_haired_uncle wrote: February 15th, 2024, 8:10 pm The selections in the campaign information are empty until the first scenario.
Fixed.

20240215 15:06:25 error config: Multiple [unit_type]s with id=MfaW_Hollow_Arch_Mage encountered.
20240215 15:06:37 error display: error parsing image modifications: SCALE(55,55))
Fixed.

Also, I don't like to write all the objectives. After turn 8 or by killing a ghost, you were supposed to be killed by those ghosts, taking you into the next scenario.
white_haired_uncle

I just kept getting "Leuvhan has been defeated". I loaded various saves and tried random things and eventually when I "died" it went to the next scenario.

I'm now stuck in "The dawn under the stars". I don't see anything to do, or any way out.

Under Actions, I can change my character focus to Sirine, which seems to act on Feriga. But don't try to change focus under Evocation or else the Evocation will then fail with a lua error.

20240215 20:46:10 error scripting/lua: ...n_of_the_Mist/utils/06-Evocation.f/01-Evocation_menu.lua:53: bad argument #1 to 'sub' (string expected, got nil)
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'string.sub'
	...n_of_the_Mist/utils/06-Evocation.f/01-Evocation_menu.lua:53: in function '.Evocation_Menu'
	[string "Evocation_Menu()"]:1: in local 'bytecode'
Also, from earlier...

20240215 20:19:35 error scripting/lua: ...e_Mist/utils/00-Variables.f/02-Variable_manipulation.lua:17: bad argument #1 to 'sub' (string expected, got nil)
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'string.sub'
	...e_Mist/utils/00-Variables.f/02-Variable_manipulation.lua:17: in function '.read_variable'
	...f_the_Mist/utils/05-Commerce.f/03-Internal_functions.lua:250: in function '.Commerce_Generate_Cost_String'
	..._of_the_Mist/utils/05-Commerce.f/04-Commerce_options.lua:80: in function '.Commerce_Item_Sell'
	...ities/S08_Capella_das_velas_novas.f/03-General_store.lua:189: in function '.Scenario_General_Store'
	[string "Scenario_General_Store('Oddities')"]:1: in local 'bytecode'
	lua/wml/message.lua:468: in field '?'
	lua/core/wml.lua:194: in function 'wml.fire'
	(...tail calls...)
	...ities/S08_Capella_das_velas_novas.f/03-General_store.lua:54: in function '.Scenario_General_Store'
	[string "Scenario_General_Store('Action')"]:1: in local 'bytecode'
Aucrin-Ix-Seis

Post by Aucrin-Ix-Seis »

white_haired_uncle wrote: February 16th, 2024, 1:23 am I just kept getting "Leuvhan has been defeated". I loaded various saves and tried random things and eventually when I "died" it went to the next scenario.
Can you give me a savegame of this? No matter what I do, I can't reproduce it.
white_haired_uncle wrote: February 16th, 2024, 1:23 am I'm now stuck in "The dawn under the stars". I don't see anything to do, or any way out.
Yes! This is the last scenario of the first chapter. It also explains the bugs you've encountered there, since the system is not yet updated fully. You may want to keep the savegame in which the scenario starts: it should remain useable through updates in the campaign.
white_haired_uncle wrote: February 16th, 2024, 1:23 am Also, from earlier...
Do you remember in which scenario this happened?
white_haired_uncle

Re: 0.6.11

Aucrin-Ix-Seis wrote: February 16th, 2024, 2:41 pm Can you give me a savegame of this? No matter what I do, I can't reproduce it.

Do you remember in which scenario this happened?
The turn saves from that scenario are gone, I don't keep many. I do remember that when I played it I stayed back away from the fighting (I think the ghosts were initially fighting someone else?), and then after several turns the ghosts came after me. After I killed a ghost the objectives changed, but I couldn't find a way out of the scenario and they kept killing me (permanently).

The general store error was from a new scenario to the north, from the error message I'd guess S08_Capella_das_velas_novas which sounds right. EDIT: Yeah, that's right, in the attached save go to the general store and choose 'oddities'.

BTW, in nested menus you might want to change one of the "Exit" options to "Back". Having two different "Exit" options is kind of weird until you figure it out.
Attachments
MfaW SoM-The enchantress forest.gz
(5.29 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
MfaW SoM-Capella das velas novas.gz
(10.38 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
white_haired_uncle

Okay, this starvation nonsense is just getting old.

I got the warning message, and tried to head for somewhere to buy food. I had to save/load a couple times as I kept getting interrupted by encounters. Also, my movement on Crooked Ravine is limited by my current quest (which is also annoying when I'm trying to complete a side quest, but I'm not allowed to). And then I met with Jacob or something, which launched a couple more quick scenarios, each of which cost me a turn so I died.

BTW, even if you can't advance normally, it would be nice if you could earn XP towards an "advancement" even if that was only good for healing (and more HP maybe?). With no villages, very slow regeneration, and only being able to heal a little once (as far as I can tell), when you get a few encounters in a short time it's hard to stay alive.

I've seen this happen a couple times. At least once, but I think maybe both, it happened in CR near Capella_das_velas_novas. This time I got like 9 messages in a row. This is one...
cw1.png
cw1.png (19.46 KiB) Viewed 683 times
I tried, but couldn't reproduce it.

EDIT: I thought I actually managed to advance. On the CR map, I'm a Hooded Elf. But in cities or encounters, I go back to a Hunter. Confusing.

In the attached save, try to change your focus to Sirine (which makes no sense to me).
Attachments
MfaW SoM-Encounter) Enemies in sight-Auto-Save6.gz
(18.76 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Aucrin-Ix-Seis

Post by Aucrin-Ix-Seis »

white_haired_uncle wrote: February 16th, 2024, 7:29 pm Okay, this starvation nonsense is just getting old.
(...) I got the warning message, and tried to head for somewhere to buy food...
(...) With no villages, very slow regeneration, and only being able to heal a little once...
Yes, in the first version of the campaign I added two options to the actions menu to collect food and heal wounds. I hoped they would be enough to ensure the survival of the main character in the first moments of the campaign.
As for the constant 'encounters', I find them more annoying than challenging. In the next version, it seems to me that I could make self-resolvable 'encounters', or through menus and text chains... I don't know, I'm open to suggestions.
white_haired_uncle wrote: February 16th, 2024, 7:29 pm BTW, even if you can't advance normally, it would be nice if you could earn XP towards an "advancement"...
No, by design I want characters to only gain power through completing quests. Otherwise, it will be a living hell to balance the campaign.
white_haired_uncle wrote: February 16th, 2024, 7:29 pm I've seen this happen a couple times. At least once, but I think maybe both, it happened in CR near Capella_das_velas_novas. This time I got like 9 messages in a row. This is one...
Yes, that's because of an experimental system that I introduced in the last version. I should choose a different terrain for the encounter scenario, but it turns out that only works half the time for me. (It seems to work better on your system!)

I will review the rest of the issues, but I wouldn't want to upload a new version yet until I verify its root causes.
white_haired_uncle

Re: 0.6.11.2

Aucrin-Ix-Seis wrote: February 19th, 2024, 6:12 pm
white_haired_uncle wrote: February 16th, 2024, 7:29 pm BTW, even if you can't advance normally, it would be nice if you could earn XP towards an "advancement"...
No, by design I want characters to only gain power through completing quests. Otherwise, it will be a living hell to balance the campaign.
You cut off just before the important part of my comment, "even if that was only good for healing".

It's pretty common to have multiple encounters happen frequently enough that you don't have a chance to heal, so no matter what you do you will inevitably die (slowly). I have found a few ways of at least partially healing, but often enough you just don't have a chance. Earning a full heal through XP would be one way to alleviate this.
Aucrin-Ix-Seis

Post by Aucrin-Ix-Seis »

Version 0.6.17.0-Beta) The new version has been uploaded.
Fixed - Some inconsistencies in the calculation of prices of items in stores
Included - A prototype of alchemical transformations used in stores. Certain items must be provided to obtain others.

Deliberating
white_haired_uncle wrote: February 19th, 2024, 7:27 pm It's pretty common to have multiple encounters happen frequently enough that you don't have a chance to heal
I finally found the cause of this, thus the encounters shouldn't happen as often as before. However, if you want to keep your current save, I require you to enter a context menu called 'Debug', in there you need to select the option to 'Update variables', otherwise the new system will only show errors.
As for the nourishment and healing...
C01.png
I would prefer if you could check the systems used in the actions menu, rather than rewrite them completely.
white_haired_uncle

Healing like that would be nice, if it was an option. Also, I'm not sure about those options that say they take N turns, since I usually have an encounter occur before the N turns is complete -- I'm not sure if that counts?

This is what I have available for healing. Here it says 0% (I don't know why it also says 30%, but it doesn't do that anyway), I assume because I've used it "recently" (definition of "recently" currently unknown)[1]. Normally the first time it says like 16%, which isn't worth much when I've only got 34HP.
Screenshot_2024-02-21_13-55-44.png
[1] Actually, it says 0 because I have full HP. I dropped my HP to 4 and tried it, and it said 21%. On the next turn, it was back to 0%.
Aucrin-Ix-Seis

Post by Aucrin-Ix-Seis »

white_haired_uncle wrote: February 21st, 2024, 7:03 pm Healing like that would be nice, if it was an option. (...)
Oh right, I forgot to tell that the options I mentioned are only available in the Conquered ravines right now. It was coded for more maps, but currently that is the only map that it works.
white_haired_uncle wrote: February 21st, 2024, 7:03 pm This is what I have available for healing. Here it says 0% (I don't know why it also says 30%, but it doesn't do that anyway), I assume because I've used it "recently" (definition of "recently" currently unknown)[1]. Normally the first time it says like 16%, which isn't worth much when I've only got 34HP.
Yes. This is working as intended: lower healing at higher hitpoints. And this option is only available in 'local' scenarios.