Drarvish miners

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
holypaladin

Drarvish miners

Post by holypaladin »

Since the dwarvish miner has become a part of mainline units maybe make the dwarvish equivalent of a human peasant? (I think that's what a standard dwarf could do). He could be advanced to a dwarvish warrior, a dwarvish thunderer or a dwarven scout.
„Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam"
Duke_Anax

Re: Drarvish miners

Post by Duke_Anax »

Why is it even L1? The stats look like it should be L0, which would fit the role as a base for other dwarven units.
holypaladin

Post by holypaladin »

I agree! Dwarfes has no L0 units in database while miner looks like ideal for this. At least cost was reduces from 19 to 5, that's a good change.
„Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam"
fishrose

Post by fishrose »

holypaladin wrote: March 31st, 2024, 4:18 pm Since the dwarvish miner has become a part of mainline units maybe make the dwarvish equivalent of a human peasant? (I think that's what a standard dwarf could do). He could be advanced to a dwarvish warrior, a dwarvish thunderer or a dwarven scout.
I like this idea!

Relatedly, I don't like the use of the word "grunt" in the unit description:
Dwarvish miners are the grunt workers of dwarvish society.

I feel like the word "grunt" is thematically associated with the orcs, so it's not stylistically optimal. We also probably shouldn't use a word that could be interpreted by some to be derogatory when describing a legitimate profession with real-life equivalence (i.e. players who are miners in real life may not appreciate the profession being described as "grunt work").

Edit: perhaps something similar to the description for human peasants? "Miners are the primary producers of dwarvish society. They extract ores and other raw materials for weapons and artefacts, but do not participate in the crafting process itself. They have no military training, but can still do some damage with their picks." (compare to humans: "peasants are the backbone of the rural economy")
holypaladin

Post by holypaladin »

fishrose wrote: April 15th, 2024, 3:14 pm
holypaladin wrote: March 31st, 2024, 4:18 pm Since the dwarvish miner has become a part of mainline units maybe make the dwarvish equivalent of a human peasant? (I think that's what a standard dwarf could do). He could be advanced to a dwarvish warrior, a dwarvish thunderer or a dwarven scout.
I like this idea!

Relatedly, I don't like the use of the word "grunt" in the unit description:
Dwarvish miners are the grunt workers of dwarvish society.

I feel like the word "grunt" is thematically associated with the orcs, so it's not stylistically optimal. We also probably shouldn't use a word that could be interpreted by some to be derogatory when describing a legitimate profession with real-life equivalence (i.e. players who are miners in real life may not appreciate the profession being described as "grunt work").

Edit: perhaps something similar to the description for human peasants? "Miners are the primary producers of dwarvish society. They extract ores and other raw materials for weapons and artefacts, but do not participate in the crafting process itself. They have no military training, but can still do some damage with their picks." (compare to humans: "peasants are the backbone of the rural economy")
That is also accurate fact, making miners L0 dwarf unit with possibility of advance may also result in including them to some dwarf campainings. And yes, I like the proposed describtion :)
„Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam"