The South Guard (Revised)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ZIM

Re: The South Guard (Revised)

Post by ZIM »

Hello, I want to report two minor bug, the first one is Minister Hylas had two copies of resilient trait, and in The Athenwood, when killing the outlaw leader, it there's an error that says ''[sound] missing required name= atrribute''.
DuncanDill

Post by DuncanDill »

Just played through it and I have a couple of suggestions/bugs:

In scenario 3 it is possible to just end before talking to Gerrick, which if funny but it's strange to just have him appear

Mari is an alright character, but I find her slightly annoying... It's the constant whinging I think. I think she has also overtaken the story, replacing Gerrick and alot of Deoran. Maybe share the dialogue out and stop her from recruiting. Talking about her dialogue it's a bit too jarringly modern.

Is it intentional for M'brin to just be a lich? As far as I know he has a portrait right?

Also even though the ending has been changed, its still strange

Finally (and a bit over the top) a campaign about Mari would be a nice thing for future updates along with Angel of the Ashes and so... Maybe about how she lost her arm?
Last edited by DuncanDill on May 14th, 2024, 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
viewtopic.php?p=690573#p690573 Curent Maintainer of Talentless Mage
viewtopic.php?p=689462#p689462 Gaze at my art :D
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

DuncanDill wrote: May 14th, 2024, 6:19 pm Mari is an alright character, but I find her slightly annoying... It's the constant whinging I think. I think she has also overtaken the story, replacing Gerrick and alot of Deoran. Maybe share the dialogue out and stop her from recruiting. Talking about her dialogue it's a bit too jarringly modern.
100% agreed, you summed up the problems with the character really well. And her modern-ness also looks even more absurd when in S1 garard has very exaggerated archaic speech so the dialog manages to be worst of both worlds.
DuncanDill wrote: May 14th, 2024, 6:19 pm Is it intentional for M'brin to just be a lich? As far as I know he has a portrait right?
He definitely needs to get his portrait back.
DuncanDill wrote: May 14th, 2024, 6:19 pm Also even though the ending has been changed, its
It looks you hit send before finishing typing here, or did I misread?
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
DuncanDill

Post by DuncanDill »

I hit send early lol
viewtopic.php?p=690573#p690573 Curent Maintainer of Talentless Mage
viewtopic.php?p=689462#p689462 Gaze at my art :D
holypaladin

Post by holypaladin »

Another a bit frustrating thing is total removal of one of rare in mainline examples of human-troll cooperation. In TSG was very well written and I liked it a lot.
„Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam"
xer

Post by xer »

I already gave some feedback, but I forgot to send the times! This is the total time the scenarios (that I played) took me, including carefully reading all the text. (version 1.0 and following on challenging difficulty, although I didn't notice a big difference to easy v1.3)

7 min | Tutorial
25 min | Raising the Banner
15 min | Westin
32 min | The Aethenwood
56 min | Vale of Tears
1h58min | Blight

Most of it comes down to Wesnoth's poor UI/UX design, it felt already quite fast to compared to other campaigns, most of the enemies stop recruiting quite soon and are easily defeated.

What felt slow was the movement through the Aethenwood. With the enemy quickly defeated, it takes quite a few turns still to get Deoran to the finish line, in which there's no threat left (but you still need to heal your army and bring some troops because you don't know if there's an elven ambush waiting for you or not). I recommend adding a forest path to speed that up.

I also wonder if it would make sense to delay the recruiting/recalling/upkeep/income tutorial. In Raising the Banner I feel those concepts are introduced in the wrong order. First upkeep (while having no troops to pay for) and healing (with no damaged units), then recruiting (of units we don't know) and recalling (without a prior fight) and then we actually learn how to fight in Wesnoth. Please consider giving the player a selection of bow/spearmen when they move to the keep, then teaching them about villages after the first combat, and save recruiting/recalling for the Aethenwood

(Also for anyone with thoughts on M'Brin I'll link this thread)
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Just adding my replays.
Attachments
TSGR-Raising the Banner replay 20240517-154059.gz
(22.4 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
TSGR-The Aethenwood replay 20240517-164845.gz
(32.13 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
TSGR-Vale of Tears replay 20240517-171002.gz
(33.45 KiB) Downloaded 8 times