[UMC] Some abilities and weapon special ideas

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
DuncanDill

[UMC] Some abilities and weapon special ideas

Post by DuncanDill »

Below I have listed some hopefully KISS abilities and weapon special that would be cool. Feel free to tell me if im being a ninny
ABILITIES:

1. Prowler
My idea for this is an ambush but for grass. Might be a bit overpowered though. Units that could benefit from this would be some sort of saurian, rats, and scarab beetles. Still can't find an easy way for this to be balanced though

2. Darkens
AFAIK this is not mainline yet, even though there is art for it? Adding this to the Necromancer would give the unit a much needed buff. Please correct me if this is already a thing.

3. Fortify
After one turn of staying in a village or castle, this unit's defense increases by 10% every turn without moving or attacking/getting attacked(if the unit gets attacked or attacks the defense stays until that attack is finished) this can go to a max of 80% defense! Units that would benefit from this are the Heavy Infantryman (and advancement tree), orcish grunt, and one of the armored drake lines (not sure which one is weaker).

4. Menace
Much like leadership, except negative and for enemy teams. Can't think of units that could use this, anyone?

5. Rage
When this unil reaches >1/10 hp they have stronger attacks

WEAPON SPECIALS:

1. Burn
Much like poison, except it can kill. Can be cured by village, healer or standing in water. This woulld prbly break the fire in wesnoth tho

2. Inacurrate
This would be an anti marksman, which allows for no more than 20% chance to hit

3. Murderous
This attack gains +1 damage for every successful hit it lands but goes back to normal after it misses. This would last the whole scenario, differing it from the strong trait.

4. Protection
Works exactly like charge, but on defense.

5. Fury
Like rage, but doesnt depend on hp. Only works on defensive and also lowers accuracy, so +25% attack -20% accuracy (up to 20%)

How are these, good or bad?
Last edited by DuncanDill on May 6th, 2024, 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players. They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts - William Shakespeare
viewtopic.php?p=689462#p689462 Gaze at my art :D
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Re: [mainline] Some abilities and weapon special ideas

Post by Ravana »

Bad. Feel free to create them but they have nothing to do with mainline.
DuncanDill

Re: [UMC] Some abilities and weapon special ideas

Post by DuncanDill »

Oh ok! I changed the title. Ill attach code to each on if anyone wants to use them. I'm guessing darkens has been suggested many times, as i can't see anything bad with it...
All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players. They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts - William Shakespeare
Spannerbag

Post by Spannerbag »

DuncanDill wrote: May 6th, 2024, 3:04 pm Below I have listed some hopefully KISS abilities and weapon special that would be cool....
FWIW I've seen quite a few variants of your ideas are in various UMC campaigns and there are different ways of implementing similar effects.
E.g. similar outcomes to Fortify could be obtained by either increasing resistance (unit takes less damage per strike) or increasing hitpoints (unit can take more total damage).
I'm not saying they are the same but they all improve a unit's survivability.
I'm also not saying don't invent new abilities but there's already a lot out there so you risk reinventing wheels if you just dive in. :)

Re. Burn: whilst it's possible to do something like that, you might want to bear point 29 in mind.

Please don't be put off exploring new ideas - just beware that many new ideas probably aren't! :)

Hope my ramblings help,
cheers!
-- Spannerbag
SP Campaigns: After EI (v1.14) Leafsea Burning (v1.17, v1.16)
I suspect the universe is simpler than we think and stranger than we can know.
Also, I fear that beyond a certain point more intelligence does not necessarily benefit a species...
DuncanDill

Post by DuncanDill »

Spannerbag wrote: May 6th, 2024, 4:20 pm
DuncanDill wrote: May 6th, 2024, 3:04 pm Below I have listed some hopefully KISS abilities and weapon special that would be cool....
FWIW I've seen quite a few variants of your ideas are in various UMC campaigns and there are different ways of implementing similar effects.
E.g. similar outcomes to Fortify could be obtained by either increasing resistance (unit takes less damage per strike) or increasing hitpoints (unit can take more total damage).
I'm not saying they are the same but they all improve a unit's survivability.
I'm also not saying don't invent new abilities but there's already a lot out there so you risk reinventing wheels if you just dive in. :)

Re. Burn: whilst it's possible to do something like that, you might want to bear point 29 in mind.

Please don't be put off exploring new ideas - just beware that many new ideas probably aren't! :)

Hope my ramblings help,
cheers!
-- Spannerbag
Yeah, I was wondering how many people had already thought of these! I must have skimmed over the rules a bit, completely forgot about point 29 :whistle:

Well thx for encouragment spannerbag :D
fishrose

Post by fishrose »

DuncanDill wrote: May 6th, 2024, 3:28 pm Oh ok! I changed the title. Ill attach code to each on if anyone wants to use them. I'm guessing darkens has been suggested many times, as i can't see anything bad with it...
If "darken" is meant to work as reverse-illuminate (i.e. decrease light by one level), I think it does already exist in mainline but is campaign-only.

Without spoiling too much: try (the new version of) Eastern Invasion! It is one of my favourite mainline campaigns in this version, and the equivalent of "darken" serves as both a plot device and an interesting tactical consideration.