More naval units

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

To Khamul: why not?
:arrow: Indeed, boats are quiet specialized. But, for an example, if you buy 1 boat, it is enough to defend a river. Otherwise, you must buy about 3 mermen or nagas. And that can be a bit expensive.
:( Anyway, there is time to discuss about the necessity of boats in Wesnoth and how to make them. Because if you want me to make those units, you will have to wait for a moment: I'm too busy with translations.
Disto

Post by Disto »

Where/how would you recruit boats?
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
scott

Post by scott »

At a port, of course. The port is a keep alias and the shipyard is a castle alias. Needs art. Ahem, I said, NEEDS ART!
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Shadow Mage

Post by Shadow Mage »

Yeah, but look at this:

Code: Select all

if keep=water
then "activate" naval_units
allow "leader" recruit: warship, transport, galleon, freighter.....
You have to make graphics for the water keep, then the ships, then the attacks, then the defense, then the death art, then fix it all again, then make different ones for different factions, fix them again, add water movemnet, ect.

Not only that, but you have to define who can attack the ships. It would require unit classes, to make defining easier, which in it self would require a lot of coding. About 7 months of work would be involved in implementing naval units, for what end? How much would it add to the game? KISS is all I have to say
SL

Post by SL »

Hmm. I'm attempting to make a 200x200 map with continents, poles, etc (and I'll probably give up before finishing it, heh heh, but who knows). The reason I'm mentioning it, is because I haven't the faintest idea how the units which can't enter deep water are going to get from one continent to another without transport ships.

And since this is a multiplayer map, I suppose Wesnoth's code itself would need some kind of support for ships in order to make this work.
Lapinator

Post by Lapinator »

kangounator says :
Battle for Wesnoth is a fantastic game and boats are realistic. The only fantastic naval units are merman (and flying boat ) if they were (big) sea monsters it will be more funny.
I agree with you, I think this game must have more fantastic naval units and big sea monsters (Kraken, leviatan...).
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

There already are sea monsters, like in the Heir of the Throne campaign (when you have to cross a river).
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

SL wrote:Hmm. I'm attempting to make a 200x200 map with continents, poles, etc (and I'll probably give up before finishing it, heh heh, but who knows). The reason I'm mentioning it, is because I haven't the faintest idea how the units which can't enter deep water are going to get from one continent to another without transport ships.

And since this is a multiplayer map, I suppose Wesnoth's code itself would need some kind of support for ships in order to make this work.
Well, I doubt anyone will want to play a 200*200 map (the preferred size is ~25-~25), so you don't have a problem. :D
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
kangounator

Post by kangounator »

a 200x200 map :shock: How many turns ? At the end of the game there will be thousand of units

why not submarine units which can hide in the deep
Na'enthos

Re: Here is an idea of naval boat units

Post by Na'enthos »

Tux2B wrote::idea: Here are my proposals of naval units:

LEVEL 0
ROW BOAT:

LEVEL 1
GALLEY:

LEVEL 2
DRAKKAR:

------------------------------

LEVEL 1:
CARAVEL

LEVEL 2:
GALLEON:

LEVEL 3
ADMIRAL'S BOAT

LEVEL 4
FLYING BOAT

-------------------------------------------

TRANSPORT
First off.. I like the idea.. whether it fits Wesnoth and is actually going to work.. that's up to whoever wants to implement this and the devs.

Second: I would like historically correct 'level-ups'. If these units are to level at all they are best levelled by slightly upgrading the same basic unit.. a rowboat levellinbg up to a galleon? Hehe.. I know, WINR.. but it's a bit far-fetched.

If that's the way it'll be implemented though (the 'rowboat levels into galley' thing) I would like to see names from similar historical background used together. As in: Drakkar used to be Viking boats.. and Galleys were used by Romans (among others). Besides.. galleys were huge.. 3rd level units, probably, if size matters.. and Drakkar might be 3rd level too.

Third: there are enough historical names.. and I would personally very much prefer it if these would be used over made-up names unles the last are convincing enough. 'Flying boat' just sounds not right to me. Admirals' boat.. why not use 'Flagship' or something?

Well.. that's just what I think. I wish you good luck on this project.. I'll be around to give feedback. :wink:
He who would travel happily must travel light.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupery
SL

Post by SL »

What about having the level 1 ship unit be a single ship, and the level two would look like two ships and be twice as strong (but not twice as fast), and the level three would look like three ships?

If we had only one ship unit line per faction, with levelling just increasing the 'amount' of ships in the unit, (thus only 6 ships actually need to be drawn, then they can be copied and pasted to make the unit images for the level 2 and 3 fleets) - that would be easier to make than the 8 ships suggested before, and the different races' fleets would be more distinctive.

For instance:

Dwarven Steam-Ship (cannon)
Rebels: Elven Galleon (archers)
Loyalists: Man O' War (cannon)
Northerners: Some kind of Orcish ship (archers)
Undead: A ship made of bone?
Drakes: I have no idea :P
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

SL wrote:Undead: A ship made of bone?
Undead travel on huge, slow, barges. Maybe 4 moves/turn in open water. Their boats can carry lots of units though; and cannons can't sink them, since they don't float by containing air; and archers can't hurt them at all; and they do damage by ramming.

SL wrote:Drakes: I have no idea :P
They don't have boats of course. Saurian Tribalists would probably sail around in tiny sailboats propelled by self-summoned wind.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Attila

Post by Attila »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
SL wrote:Undead: A ship made of bone?
Undead travel on huge, slow, barges. Maybe 4 moves/turn in open water. Their boats can carry lots of units though; and cannons can't sink them, since they don't float by containing air; and archers can't hurt them at all; and they do damage by ramming.

The western wave was all a-flame.
The day was well nigh done !
Almost upon the western wave
Rested the broad bright Sun ;
When that strange shape drove suddenly
Betwixt us and the Sun.

And straight the Sun was flecked with bars,
(Heaven's Mother send us grace !)
As if through a dungeon-grate he peered
With broad and burning face.

Alas ! (thought I, and my heart beat loud)
How fast she nears and nears !
Are those her sails that glance in the Sun,
Like restless gossameres ?

And those her ribs through which the Sun
Did peer, as through a grate ?
And is that Woman all her crew ?
Is that a DEATH ? and are there two ?
Is DEATH that woman's mate ?[/quote]

:D I like that poem....
Attachments
With my cross-bow
<br />I shot the albatross
With my cross-bow
I shot the albatross
human-duelist-ranged.png (1.32 KiB) Viewed 4270 times
Last edited by Attila on May 15th, 2005, 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
RaMpAgE

Post by RaMpAgE »

I think it would be a good thing to use transports ships so they can go very quickly over deep water and ump your guys right next to the enemies base without having to fight through hard terrain... this will force the opposing person to build an opposing navy if they wanna stop that...
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

How about the undead having a ghost ship?
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom