Translation handling?

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Alfie

Translation handling?

Post by Alfie »

Hi!

I'm quite new to the translation of the wesnoth files and am familiar with gettext. I've read the short HOWTO in the wiki about it and try to explain my questions with how translations work with gettext po files:

Here is a short po file to demonstrate the features of po files:
#: filea.cpp:44
msgid "This is a string."
msgstr ""

#: filea.cpp:55
#: fileb.cpp:103
msgid "Another string."
msgstr "Noch eine Zeichenkette."

#: filec.cpp:123
#, fuzzy
msgid "New string."
msgstr "Alte Zeichenkette."
Short explenation: The first line(s) are always filenames and line numbers in that files where these strings occur. If there are multiple files that have the same string it will be squeezed together like shown in the second entry. The first entry isn't translated yet (msgstr empty), the second is. The third entry is special and what I would *love* to get explained how to get it with merge_translations: The #, fuzzy is a keyword that explains that the entry needs to be updated/checked because the original string has been changed.

Currently it seems to me that there is no way to see if some strings have changed in the english files and need additional attention from the translators. Its not always just typos (then the translators can simply remove the fuzzy flag), sometimes they are also a rewrite to some extend.

So, can this be offered by the current translation tools? From what I have been told the reason to not use gettext is that it isn't available on all systems that wesnoth should be ported to. I am wondering if the SDL libraries are available for such systems; from what I know gettext is available for much more systems than the SDL library; but I have nothing against being corrected.

I will at least try to produce a perl script that offers me similar (especially with respect to the fuzzy strings, those are essential to catch for good translations IMNSHO) as long as wesnoth hasn't been switched to gettext or the tools doesn't offer me that ability. I will of course share it with the other translators happily. One question about that: # is available for comments within the .cfg files, isn't it?

So long, and thanks for the great game :)
Alfie