Arcane damage french translation

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Djann

Arcane damage french translation

Post by Djann »

Hello,

In French, arcane damages are translated as "sacré" ("sacred" or "holy" is the English equivalent of "sacré"). But now the dark adepts and his evolution have also an arcane attack, so the translation of arcane in in French lost his original sense ( a dark adept with a holy attack :? ). So, I propose to translate arcane in French as "mystique" ("mystic" in English (some words are easy to translate :) )), which refers better to the secret side of the word "arcane".
Simons Mith

Re: Arcane damage french translation

Post by Simons Mith »

The definition of Arcane I put into the manual redraft runs as follows:

"Arcane attacks commonly work by attacking the magical bonds that sustain the lives of all creatures. The undead are particularly vulnerable to this attack type, because the bonds maintaining their existence are much weaker. Example: a White Mage's lightbeam attack."

I have gathered that arcane attacks, are used as a sort of catch-all for magical damage that doesn't fit under any other category. If you burn someone with magical fire or zap them with lightning, it's a fire attack; blasting them with cold is also obvious. A cloud of magically-created arrows would be pierce. But if you can't justify a magical attack as blade, pierce, fire, cold or impact, it falls under arcane by default.

I hope that helps you confirm that 'mystique' fits.

Djann

Post by Djann »

Thanks for your answer, Simons Mith :) .

So, here is the translation of the arcane damages definition :

Les attaques mystiques ont pour point commun de s'attaquer aux liens magiques qui soutiennent la vie de toute créature. Les mort-vivants sont particulièrement vulnérables à ce type d'attaque, parce que les liens maintenant leur existance sont plus fragiles. Exemple : l'attaque rayon de lumière du Mage Blanc.

Now, I have to wait the opinion of the french translators :P .
Gnork

Post by Gnork »

Je suis d'accord, "mystique" me semble meilleur que "sacré".

Ne reste plus qu'à soumettre l'idée à la liste de diffusion :wink:
Sriram

Post by Sriram »

The Arcane attack used to be called Holy earlier in English also. It might be due the reason described by Djann that it was changed to Arcane.
Ababakar

Post by Ababakar »

What's the matter with "arcane" ? It works in French too.
Feufochmar

Post by Feufochmar »

Some translators found "mystique" better than "arcane". Actually, "arcane" is translated as "arcane" in the French translation, but I don't know if this will change in future translations. There are also still some references to "sacré" in the translation.
Ababakar

Post by Ababakar »

On a dit que sacré ne marchait pas à cause des adeptes, fantômes, sauriens... Arcane me semble convenir parfaitement. Et c'est plus crédible que "mystique".
Feufochmar

Post by Feufochmar »

Au risque de me répéter : je ne sais pas ce qui a été décidé à ce niveau (utiliser "mystique" ou "arcane"), mais pour le moment c'est "arcane" qui est utilisé dans la traduction française. Si tu veux plus d'information à ce niveau, tu devrais poser la question sur la mailing-list.
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

Sounds like we all agree that "arcane" works better than "mystique".
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.